z

Young Writers Society

Writing in a second laguage

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:23 pm
Esmé says...

As the topic says, lol.

So, does anyone write in a foreign for them language? Or, if you’re from an English speaking country, doo you prefer writing in English or any other language that you know? Why or why not?

Well, I suppose that since I started the topic, I should answer the questions first, hehe. I write in English (obviously) but English is a foreign language for me. I was born in Poland, wherever and to whichever country my family and I moved, we spoke in polish at our house. I’m currently at/in (no idea which here, lol) Poland and there’s Polish all around me. I go to a Polish school, and even though I go to a bilingual class (theoretically) the only thing which we do is grammar. Well, not the only thing, but that’s what we do most. It’s so booring….

Still, I write in English. Why? Because I’m complete rubbish when I write in Polish, hehe. Seriously. And obviously not to forget English, lol. My accent’s already gone wild, hehe.

… Which doesn’t mean that its easier. It’s irritating when you want to use a word which you know you know but can’t remember it. Very irritating, actually. The fact that you know it in Polish makes it worse. Since I’m lazy, and since I know the word, I WILL NOT CHECK IT UP IN THE DICTIONARY. Nononononono. So I end up passing the scene, hehe.

-elein
Last edited by Esmé on Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:44 pm
Kitkat_1122_ says...

I write in English because:

1. It's the language I grew up with
2. I don't know any other languages.

And because of the second reason I couldn't really write in another language even if I wanted to.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:29 pm
Shafter says...

You may hear this a lot, but I think it would be awesome to be bilingual!! I'm just English-speaking, I'm afraid, with a little knowlege of Latin and French.

By the way, your English is excellent. You're a clearer writer than some of my friends who speak English all the time! ;)
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

571 Reviews

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:33 pm
Esmé says...

Thanks, but I guess that comes with writing a lot, lol.

Used to speak three languages. Oh, all right, I know I'm being stuck up now, lol. -But I did pass third grade in Spain. LOL.

-elein

P.S. That was certaintly not a tip, uhm...

55 Reviews

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:35 pm
Shafter says...

How have you come to live in so many countries? If you don't mind my asking.
Got YWS?

571 Reviews

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:41 pm
Esmé says...

My dad keeps changing his work (he's a what you can call scientist, works at different universities), and the whole family trudges after him. Currently he's in the U.S.A, and I'm stuck in Poland :( LOL

-elein

55 Reviews

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:43 pm
Shafter says...

Aww, I'm sorry. *Hugs* Make him come home soon!
Got YWS?

571 Reviews

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:44 pm
Esmé says...

We're having a nice little dialogue here, aren't we? LOL

-elein

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:47 pm
Dream Deep says...

Heh, I've never been to Poland, but having lived in the United States all my life, I'm starting to think I would rather be 'stuck' there. ;)

I write predominantly in English, obviously... I did write a short story in French once, which was an adventure. ^_~ I also used to write in Ukrainian somtimes - but then Nana died and I consequently stopped speaking it in any real sense - so by this point in my life I've forgotten most of it.

I also tried writing in Arabic, once - my grammar was so screwed up that the thing bordered on the nonsensical. ^_^

571 Reviews

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:52 pm
Esmé says...

:) I one had an assignement to write for French... Eh, terrible, terrible... Copied everything from my friend...

I'm incognito here if my french teacher ever cares to look here... -Becomes very, very, very tiny*

-elein

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:54 pm
Dream Deep says...

eleinasari wrote::) I one had an assignement to write for French... Eh, terrible, terrible... Copied everything from my friend...

:razz:

For shame, Elein. ^_^

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:01 pm
Snoink says...

I know I like to write poetry and plays in Spanish... although you don't want to see them. Really.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

571 Reviews

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:34 pm
Esmé says...

Cool! Wishes wistfully that didn't forget Spanish* -Been a while since was in Spain, lol.

Anyway, awesome that you're writing in Spanish! You from a spanish-speaking family or did you just learn it?

-elein

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:05 pm
Emerson says...

Once I'm fluent in French, I plan on writing a few novels in it. And I'll probably (if I get published!) translate my own novels into French (or the other languages I will eventually become fluent in :-D)

I sort of have a language fetish, I love them so much, and I love the patterns to languages. I could most certainly see me writing in French, of course for now, I only know present and past tense so it wouldn't be a very good story! Not to mention, my vocabulary needs to widen.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:10 pm
Poor Imp says...

In Russian! ...Though little, and less - they tend to become diglot weaves of English/Russian and then the narrative is insufferably convoluted. Poetry is a bit easier. ^_^

In Spanish and Italian, on whim, I write rhymes or opening phrases. English, though, doubtless is the language I've most practise in telling a story in.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

There is no quiet. There is only Doc McStuffins.
— Ron Swanson