z

Young Writers Society

Writing Enthusiasm (sp?)

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:43 am
Kitkat_1122_ says...

I really would like to write a book, but I noticed one small problem; I practically have to force myself sit down and write. I don't really like writing, but yet I want to be an author. So I was wondering if you guys have any tips about being getting excited about writing.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:12 am
Shafter says...

As far as I'm concerned, when you're writing a novel you have to get excited not about the actual writing but about the characters. Who are these people you're writing about? What makes them tick? What's unusual about them? What do you like about them? Hate about them? What cool personality traits do they have? The more you get to know your characters, hopefully the more excited you'll be.

Don't worry about "writing something good." Just go with your characters and be excited about them. It'll show through! If you're excited enough, you'll go through any discipline-- even writing-- to tell their story.
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:34 am
Elelel says...

I think the big question you might have to ask yourself is why do you want to be an author if you don't really like writing?

I don't know. There might be an answer there that can help you see how to get some enjoyment out of it all.

But, I have some other advice too. Have fun! Write something that makes you happy. Don't worry about writing perfectly.

As Shafter said, characters are fun things to mess with. Well. She didn't quite put it like that. But it's the same gist. Make some characters, make each really want something they can't have, and then throw them into something they're not ready for. Torture them a bit. Send them on a quest for the ruby muffins of waffleland. Throw in a dragon with nine eyes (because odd numbers are fun) and a inferiority complex. Whatever you want.

When you get more excited about writing in general then you can worry about tedious things such as a plot that makes sense, correct grammar, fantabulous dialogue, and the fine art of perfect description.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:48 am
Via says...

So...writing is the problem here...hmm.

Taperecording. Dictating to someone else.

Problem solved :D
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:03 am
Wiggy says...

Exactly. For some, writing is simply a pastime, while for others, it's the same as breathing. (I know for me it is the latter.) It sounds to me as if you're going through what I call a "dry spell" of writing. Sometimes, it's just not exciting. So, like others have suggested, I would write something totally wacky and out of the ordinary for you. Just sit down and write. It's the best I can suggest!

Good luck!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:26 pm
Esmé says...

Hm... I can't exactly imagine myswelf writing if I didn;t like to do it.... How come you want to beome an author if you don't like writing?!

Well, I have nothing to add. The people before me said everything :)

Good luck, maybe you'll become a writing fanatic like me. Though I don't think that it is such a good thing...

-elein

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:35 pm
Firestarter says...

Write something you love.

Take me -- I love history, so I write about history in my stories. It keeps me going, it gets me excited that I'm creating characters in that time period.

If you aren't enjoying writing, maybe because the story you are trying to do is something you really want to do?

Whatever you love, write about it.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:47 pm
Kitkat_1122_ says...

I'm not sure why I want to be an author if I don't like to write that much. I love reading so maybe that's why: I want to create a story of my own. Or maybe i just don't like writing because I'm focusing too much on making my story "good".

Well actually I take part of that back, I like to write in my journal and poetry, but I think that's it.

Thanks for the sudgestions, I'll have to try them. :wink:
Last edited by Kitkat_1122_ on Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:54 pm
Leonheart says...

id say search for the answer to the question "why be an author who doesn't like writing?" you wont get a good story without that passion for it. i normally can't do it either. i get into a story, then leave it and cant get back into it. so id say learn from my mistakes

plan the work you're going to do. i often find i hate writing most when i cant think of whats next, so have a little storyboard, or whatever helps you with your writing in front of you while you write, and you can stay focused to your goal.

next, stay focused to it. that is what lets me down the most. i write for about a week, get a good amount done, then think "i need to figure things out" so i leave it and try to think of what next. i come back, re-read the story... and i think what i've done is rubbish and start again, but do the same thing again. stay focused on a task and dont give up.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:07 pm
Emerson says...

You need to enjoy, and be interested in , and relate to what you are writing.

Right now, with my WOP I could give up at any time because I'm being really slow. But I won't! Because I have an emotional investment in the piece, I want to get to the drama, I want to see people cry and get hurt! O.o Or maybe I'm a sadist? anyway.

You have to really like what you are writing about, otherwise you won't care at all. A lot of people are concerned with whether others will like there writing, but for now, don't worry about them. Write what you enjoy.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Reviews: 0
Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:39 pm
Roxy says...

If you don't enjoy writing, ask yourself why you don't.

Is it just having to sit still for hours on end?

Try and find out what you don't like, then, if you're committed enough, you will be able to change this error and be more focused on what you're doing.

Hope it helps!

~ Roxy ~
I eat losers for breakfast...

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:21 pm
Swires says...

Well if you hate writing with a passion, maybe writing isnt for you? Maybe you should stick with reading?

Why force yourself to do something you hate?

Like it would be nice for me to paint a masterpiece but I hate art so I wouldnt bother going down that route.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:59 pm
Snoink says...

You can tell stories to others. Or something. But if you don't want to write, then don't do it. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:07 pm
Cade says...

I used to feel like this, too; I knew I had some sort of a gift for it at a young age, and I went crazy when we had to write stories in school. I think my teachers got kind of annoyed because I never wanted to write what we were supposed to write about. In about the second grade, I think we were supposed to write and illustrate a story about a farm or something, and I wrote about refugees in Kosovo. :D

Look for things that inspire you; some people like to create worlds, whereas I'm inspired by the world around me. There's almost always a reference back to something I saw or something that happened to me.

Sometimes you do need to force yourself to write; people who are talented at sports still need to practice to get better. I think you mentioned that you keep a journal, yes? Write in it. A lot. Just ramble about what happened in your day, what you thought about what someone said, how a purple cow fell out of the sky and hit an ice cream truck, whatever.

Carry a notebook or paper and pen with you. We're often inspired at completely random moments, which is why I sometimes have scraps of poetry written on my skin/clothing or in the middle of my chemistry notes.
I also keep a Steno notebook and several markers by my bed; sometimes I write a few pages of whatever phrases pop into my head. Sometimes they amount to whole poems. If I didn't write them down, there's no way I'd remember them; I look back and read the Steno pad every few weeks and I'm amazed at some of the bizarre things I've written in there.

All you have to do is stick with it, and find something you love. I used to force myself to write prose; one day, I think I just had this massive epiphany and said, "Gosh darn it, I'm a poet!" and set about writing poetry. After that, something will click and you won't be able to stop. It's a fantastic addiction.

Good luck!
Colleen :wink:
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

Reviews: 1
Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:22 am
Fraai says...

Write onto your story(ies) after you watch a great/favourite movie or while listening to music. It can get you really inspired. When you're feeling up high up and inspired, etc, don't let it go, use it to write, if you get the drift. :)

But if you don't seem to like doing it, then maybe writing isn't for you?
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Because he felt like it. Period.

.........{FRAAI.DEVIANTART.COM}

Surround yourself with people who are serious about being writers, and who will tell you, ‘Hey—you can do better than this.’ Who will be critical of your work, but also supportive. And who will not be competitive in a negative way.
— Isabel Quintero