z

Young Writers Society

Tenses: How Do You Choose?

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:47 pm
Cassandra says...

So, how do you all go about picking a tense to write in? Do you usually just end up writing in the tense you're most comfortable with, or do you actually put some thought into it?

I'm unsure whether to use past or present tense in my WIP: I write in present tense a lot, but what sort of difference does it make to the reader whichever you choose?

Any ideas? :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:54 pm
Via says...

I typically stick to past tense in stories and present tense in poetry. Why? I have no idea. I just thought I's stick my two cents in here haha.

To me there isn't a tense that I prefer over another, but rather the quality of the writing around it.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

Reviews: 4
Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:03 am
Zeige says...

i use past tense in my story i don't really know why its just the way it comes out never really thought about it
-The Alpha-

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:11 am
Kitkat_1122_ says...

I don't really notice the tenses when I read, I just notice the narritves (first or third person).

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:31 am
Emerson says...

I've always been writing in past tense; I'm not sure why. But it is what I'm best at.

Present tense annoys me, to write in. In fact I don't think I will ever write anything in present tense, my plots are never set up that way.

For my current WIP, To Keep No Secrets, Past tense is perfect because its first person and being written after all the events that are happening.

Present tense creates more of an urgency. Past tense is always foreboding (for me, anyhow) since everything has already happened, the outcome is already set in stone.

When reading, I never pick up on the tense unless its weird.

Any one try future tense? :lol:
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:31 pm
Esmé says...

I usually end up writing in past tense. I don’t know why, that just what I’m best at. I once tried present tense, (it was fan fiction, actually) but it turned uhm… Well, lets just say that I became a bit… lost… Especially since I originally wrote it in Polish (I’m rubbish when writing in that language) and then translated it into English.

And no, I have never tried future tence, lol.

-elein

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:30 pm
Shafter says...

I always write past tense when I'm writing a story, though occasionally I write present tense in poetry. The reason I always write past tense is that I can't stand present! No offense, anyone, but stories in present tense annoy me. I don't know why-- it's just one of those irrational things. ;)
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Leonheart says...

to me, things flow more naturally in the past tense when writing a story. going into present tense confuses me, because i keep reverting back to the more natural past tense. i also prefer to read past tense, because i feel present is very easy to get wrong, and a lot of people can't do it. i've read few things which i've enjoyed in the present tense.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:58 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

I write in past as default, unless I have a particular reason to write in present.
I wrote the above just for you.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:08 pm
Via says...

Haha. I'm really glad I'm not the only one who has no idea why they write in the tense that they write in. :D
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:52 pm
Lilyy03 says...

I usually write in the past tense, as its more natural, and more common. But I do try the present tense at times and I like it. I've read some things in the pressent tense too, and if they were done well I didn't notice the tense axcept at the beginning.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:49 am
Myth says...

I write in past tense. I once wrote in present tense and it was horrible, madeno sense and I gave up after that.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:22 pm
Swires says...

Again - past tense is really what I like to read. I can tolerate the present in short stories (thanks to smaur's excellence).
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:01 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe.

Simple.

But yeah... I usually write in past tense because I like traditionally told stories. I will venture out to do present tense if I want to give out a dreamy feeling (look at this story).

Yeah. I like past tense.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:05 pm
piepiemann22 says...

Me, I write in both. You have to decide what sounds best. Past is a little easier, but preasnt gives you a first hand experiance.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind