z

Young Writers Society

Tenses: How Do You Choose?

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:04 pm
Joeducktape says...

I usually don't approve of using present tense. I've always thought that past was better. However, whenever I try to write in past tense, I end up switching to present a few paragraphs in without even noticing. I'll finish writing, go back through, and think, "When'd that happen?" So now I just write in present tense.
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:30 pm
Emma says...

It depends on what kind of story I write. So I guess I don't mind which tense I use.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:05 am
Pushca says...

Present tense is kind of annoying to read sometimes, and I try to use past, but I end up switching into present (like Joeducktape [Joeducktape? *is amused**is very, very tired*] said) and then I end up having to go back and try and put it back into past. Except then I get caught up and forget what I'm supposed to be doing.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:22 pm
xtenx says...

I hate reading stories in the present tense, so I never write in the present tense. I don't think using the present tense is ever necessary and I don't think it makes a story sound better. It's just awkward to read- it doesn't bring me closer to the character or make the story more action oriented- any affect that the present tense has can easily be done in the past as well, and it won't sound nearly as awkward.

That's just my opinion though. I'm sure a lot of other people like reading stories in the present tense.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:30 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Personally, I write in past tense. For some reason, I've always had the feeling that past tense is more descriptive, and I just prefer reading it like that. However, the Demonata, by Darren Shan, is a great example of how present tense can work.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:50 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Past tense, unless a specific scene (like a dream) calls for present tense.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:08 am
Elelel says...

I just sort of ... write in what comes out. You know? Generally I can think up some reason why the tense that just happened would work very well, but I didn't choose it for that reason. If you see want I mean.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:18 pm
Sam says...

If I could, I'd write only in present tense- to me, it's a lot easier and flows a lot better when I'm re-reading.

Other people hate it, though, so I tend to go with past tense. :P
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:25 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

If I could, I'd write only in present tense- to me, it's a lot easier and flows a lot better when I'm re-reading.

Other people hate it, though, so I tend to go with past tense.

Just 'cause some people dislike present tense, that doesn't mean the majority of people do. Most don't really mind one or the other, and it is now a relatively unique thing to write in. Don't let other people dissuade you from writing what and how you want. You should write the way you're comfortable with.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Everything in the universe has a rhythm, everything dances.
— Maya Angelou