z

Young Writers Society

How to stop writers block.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:20 am
Riedawriter23 says...

Okay, so you say you have writers block. Well I don't believe you! A writers head is filled with a bunch of great ideas and if you look at the world around you, it's almost yelling for attention. Writers block is just another word for describing too many ideas going around your head at once.

So.... this is what I do. I dream up a place, somewhere that I think describes my book in an appropriate manner and I imagine being that main character because, believe it or not, the main character is usually a reflection of yourself.

If you can picture yourself doing those things then it's often easy for you to find a new chapter strictly based on what you would do. Editing can come later, you said you had writers block right? Then unblock it. Writers block is strictly psychological.

Another great way to get rid of writers block is to actually get out of the house. It's an art to be able to create a master piece from a scrap of technology with a white screen and an annoying flashing line, but you can't always be creative on your own and that's when outside becomes the perfect place.

Visit a museum with ancient artifacts or go to a cemetery (nods to fshr).
There are thousands of possibilities and you never know what you'll think of on your exploration. I was at a book store and saw a stuffed dragon and instantly had an Epiphany. I would write my next fantasy novel in a different world, including more immortals such as dragons and sphinxes.

But.......... there are a lot of demanding yet lazy writers out there who want to get their story down right then (hint: me). For those people, I insist on keep a dictionary handy.

Most of the time when I don't know what to write my next chapter about I skim through the dictionary for a word (Possible even one I can't pronounce) and its definition. If that words definition really inspires me then I could write forever about it using other supporting words that I found along the way.

And in the end you'll notice that with all those long and amazing words, that you can't say but know the exact definition of, really fit with your story. And you won't have to do spell check on them since you're looking in the dictionary, that's a big plus.

There are also many other ways to get rid of "Writers Block" (The least favorite word I know), but if you look at that screen and imagine your words on the page, imagine yourself as if you were your character, experience knew and inspiring things, then "writers block" will seem to be no more than a figment of your imagination, and hey, even that makes for a great chapter!
I love, love.
*This wonderful crit is brought to you by CCF!*

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:21 pm
Emerson says...

You might want to mention in the title or the thread that this a tip, and not an actual question because we get so many 'how do you stop writers block?' questions.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Reviews: 0
Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:36 pm
Roxy says...

I agree with Claudette, but it's a good tip. That's exacally how I feel, but I can never get rid of writer's block, even when I force myself to. Then I decide to write a new story and the old one goes out of the window! Because of this, I now have about 20 stories all on the go at once! Anyone else have this problem?

Roxy
I eat losers for breakfast...

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:56 pm
Dream Deep says...

I do. In spades. ^_~ Only mine take the form of half-finished novels instead.

Good advice, though, Rieda. ^_^

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:57 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

*raises hand*. Yeah, that's me right there. Ideas and concepts seem to come so easy to me. Characters are also pretty easy. Creating and maintaining interesting plots is hard. One of these days I will finish one of them.

And you are so right Riedawriter23, it's all in your head. I also find that random daydreaming can help quite a bit as well. The daydreams may have absolutely nothing to do about your story, but the events therein may be what you're looking for. I've dont that with several of my stories.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:29 am
Riedawriter23 says...

How to stop writers block isn't a question. But if it confuses people then I'll consider changing it. Thank you!
I love, love.
*This wonderful crit is brought to you by CCF!*

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:37 am
Swires says...

Nice tip.

echo $claudette;
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year