z

Young Writers Society

What happens when he won't die?

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:11 pm
Shafter says...

As most of you know, the first few rough drafts of my novel are done, and I'm still revising. My antagonist turn an unexpected turn for good, but with your help he managed to remain "the bad guy."

Now here's the new problem: He won't die.

He's supposed to die in the end, I want him to die in the end to avoid cheesy sequel follow-ups, but he just won't. Every time I try to write the scene where he dies, it ends up being incredibly stupid or just plain out of character.

I'm looking for opinions: Should I continue to try to kill him, or just let him live? If I let him live, how can I avoid cheesy sequel potential?

Thanks in advance for the help. :)
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:39 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Avoiding cheesy sequel potential is entirely up to you. Just because he's still around, doesn't mean that you have to use him.

If he doesn't want to die, then don't make him.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:42 pm
Esmé says...

He HAS to die. Really. Truly. Just like HP.

If he doesn;t, you'll always feel the temptation to come back to him.

-But how? Difficult question. Mellodramatics are often a problem in death scenes. I would have to read some of your stuff to give you any advice, though...

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:58 pm
View Likes
Swires says...

Yes - But not in a way that has not been over used.

if you find it is out of character for him to die then allow him to live.

Whats wrong with writing a sequel?

Im open to reading anyones manuscripts if you need general reading feedback by the way.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

55 Reviews

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:33 pm
Shafter says...

A sequel with the same bad guy just seems overused. Like Aladdin II: Return of Jafar. "I didn't want to kill him, so now he's developed superpowers and is coming back stronger than ever!" ;)

Phorcys-- I'd love a crit! viewtopic.php?t=10910
I'll try to crit yours too.

More advice, anyone?
Got YWS?

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:53 pm
Sage says...

I told you, he's a Luthor. Give him his own TV show and be done with it. ;)

Yes, I know that was unhelpful. sorry.

("Why don't we go out in the parking lot and you can run me over with your car.")
True friends stab you in the FRONT. (Oscar Wilde)

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:44 am
piepiemann22 says...

well, I had the same problem. Should he live or die? You choice. If your leaning twords death you should make end in his character. Have him die doing something he would die for, or die doing. That's the best way. At least in my oppinion. Duskglimmers right, if you let him live that doesn't mean you have to return. Hoped I helped.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

614 Reviews

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:23 am
View Likes
Swires says...

I suppose it is very Disney like and overused.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:01 pm
Dream Deep says...

I would try it both ways, Shafter. Write a concluding chapter where he dies - then turn around and write one where he lives. Let there be no restrictions and don't go into with any pre-planned course of events. It's just writing practice, so it doesn't exactly have to be good. ^_~

When you've finished that, look over both drafts and compare them. Which carries the tone of the character better? Which version better resolves the antagonism in the story? And is it absoutely vital for him to die? Could you get away with letting him live? Could you get away with letting him live and instead end it on a completely different note with a twist at the end? Or could you write it in sort of a vague, open-to-interpretation way, so that the reader doesn't really know whether the antagonist lives or is killed at the end?

Heh, and the only way the cheesy sequel comes out is if you actually write the cheesy sequel, which you seem dead set against. :razz:

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:09 am
Elelel says...

If he's dead set on not dying, and you're dead set on not giving him the opportunity to come back as head honcho baddie (but with extra SUPERPOWERS!!! as seen in Aladin II!!!) then I see two options.

a) He turns good. Ok, it's a tad cliched, and you just may not want to do this. He may not want to do this. If he can't do it, then it's just not going to happen. If he can do it, and you think it might work, but you still want a big baddie battle thing at the end, you can always have it so that there was a SECOND big baddie the whole time and not even this guy knew about it. Although that could turn out pretty badly. So I don't know. Just have fun thinking of things maybe until you get something you think might work.

b) he does not die, BUT he does get his just deserts. Could be more punishing than death, anyway. And you'll just have to fight the urge to write a cheesy THE RETURN OF sequel.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:36 am
Ego says...

Make him a zombie.

...what? You said he didn't want to die....
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

614 Reviews

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:38 am
Swires says...

Hunter wrote:Make him a zombie.

...what? You said he didn't want to die....

lol yes - even in death there is temptation to bring him back, so alive or dead it doesnt matter.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:55 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

You could have him sucked into some kind of black hole/portal of no return kind of thing. That way he wouldn't "die" in the steriotypical kind of way, but your readers would still know he's not coming back for a cheesy sequel. Unless you do want a sequel, in which case the option of the black hole/portal of no return spitting him out somewhere so you can have one of those 'return of' sequels is still open. :roll: I know, this comment probably isn't very helpful.

55 Reviews

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:27 pm
Shafter says...

That's IT! I'll make him a zombie!! Thanks, Hunter, my problem is solved!!!!
:lol:
Thanks for all the advice, guys, and I still welcome more! I'm probably going with DD's suggestion of writing two endings and seeing where it goes. Oh joy...
Merci beaucoup, one and all (except you, Sage; you're totally useless!).
Cheers! ~Shafter
P.S. For those of you who don't know, Sage is one of my best friends. So I can be mean to her if I want. ;)
Got YWS?

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:38 pm
Esmé says...

Your antagonist won't or didn't want to die? Mine just died. Yesterday.

Hehe, like 30 pages into the story and I already killed her off. In like 5 sentences. Oh, but I've said that already? I just can't get over it... =)

-elein

Wails*

To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.
— Allen Ginsberg