z

Young Writers Society

Writers Block

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:37 pm
Nexus says...

Hmm I hope this is in the right place...

I'm just wondering how does everyone here get rid of their Writers Block?

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:49 pm
Swires says...

Some useful Links:

viewtopic.php?t=983

viewtopic.php?t=1328

However in answer to your question, the simple answer is: read and write(something different).
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:06 pm
Sam says...

Ah, NaNoWriMo's pretty much gotten rid of any writer's block that might haunt me- basically, the strategy is: 'story hit a dead end? Throw in a couple of rogue ice cream trucks and escaped pandas!'

Which, of course, you can revise later.

(Always remember that you can edit, and forge onward.)
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:11 pm
Emerson says...

Sam wrote:NaNoWriMo's pretty much gotten rid of any writer's block that might haunt me

No matter how horrifying that event was for me, I still can't wait until this coming November, I'm already making plans!

Anyway...

Me, and writers block? We don't happen a lot. It's more like me and completely uncaring, procrastination, and laziness. BUT, if I am going to be calling it writer's block, what I do is I look at writing prompts or other peoples stories or i read a book, anything to get my mind off what project I'm doing (or, even, not doing) and get me to just work. Try contests where the topic is given to you, those are the best ways I find to force yourself to write.

long list of writing prompts

But like I said I never have writer's block to get rid of, I'm just a very lazy person :-D I hope this helped!
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

614 Reviews

Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:49 am
Swires says...

They are some good tips - I never really get writers block as such. I normally just get bored with a story which is different. In which case the characters or plot normally have died on me.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:52 pm
Dream Deep says...

Writer's block is incredibly hard to shake off, no question about it. Sometimes it's helpful just to let the story go for a while, to take a shower or go for a walk or whatever - but to sufficiently forget about it for the time being.

Or... you could try to find new and refreshing ways to look at it. Kay, for instance, is compiling an entire soudtrack for her next novel, matching mood to scene and instrumentation to chapter. While this doesn't really get one very far in the actual writing of the piece, it at least gets you excited about your project again. After all, if you begin to hate your project, chances are your boredom will show in the piece. ^_~

...Or, as in Prosithion's case, you can go on a murderous rampage and kill off all your characters. ;)

Claudette's 'Writing Promts' (link above) is also helpful, I've found - I've already used it. ^_^

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:32 pm
Shafter says...

I write... and write... and write some more. Usually I have to throw away everything I write, but at least it gets me going again. ;)
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

Reviews: 0
Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:51 pm
Roxy says...

Some people thing Writer's Block is hard to get rid of, but other people think it's easy.

Writer's block is like me and chocolate: Joined at the hip. But I find getting rid of Writer's Block really hard!

Apparently, Writer's Block is just a point when your brain can't be bothered to work and more, so you just stop, and the work festers. In other words, a clever plot created by top authors to stop us poor little people writing a better story than they can.

In other words, sit in a room with a very large bar of chocolate, that always helps me.

If it's still won't go, just start on another bit of the story, and come back to the bit you got stuck on later.

Good luck!

* ~ Roxy ~ *
I eat losers for breakfast...

614 Reviews

Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:05 pm
Swires says...

Writers block isnt an illness. Something causes it. It could be a number of things:

1) Your story has dried up

2) Your characters have dried up

3) You dont have a passion for the story you are writing.

Hope that helps.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:06 pm
Kitkat_1122_ says...

An exercise that I do is this:

I write the first five or so words that pop into my head. They can't be related, like you can't writ pencil, paper, write, type, and keyboard because they are related. Then for five minutes you have to start a story with one of those five words and try to include all of those words in five minutes. You are suppose to not worry about gramatical errors and you are suppose to write the first things that come to your mind.

I usually get interesting story ideas that I never would of thought of if I didn't do this exercise. You should try doing it if you have a writer's block.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:33 pm
Prosithion says...

What I do is let my writing go for a while. Usually, If Istart having writer's block, I just put my work away for a few days, and then, when I pull it back out, I'm interested again, and the story flows more and I get better ideas.

Also, don't push yourself. If you have deadlines, I suggest getting rid of them, because then there is no time constraint, you can take you writing in smaller doses, therefore eliminating the boredom factor, which, I'm positive, is the cause of most writer's block.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

So verily with the hardship, there is a relief, verily with the hardship, there is a relief.
— Quran Ch 94:5-6