z

Young Writers Society

Sword Description Help

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:46 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Okay, my peoples, how would you describe the following sword? -- without using terms such as xiphos, makhaira, celtic, etc.

Thanks guys,
CL.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:42 am
Swires says...

Well it depends on the importance of the sword, is it vital that you have to describe the sword in detail? If its a simple sword then just say exactly that.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:18 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

They are special to my character, so they are special to me. Um, I was almost thinking of going with broad, flat, short sword or something of that derivative.

CL.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:25 pm
piepiemann22 says...

Not a good idea if the sword is that important. Try having it represent the character. If he/she is elegent, sweet, and trust worthy, have the blade the same way. hope I helped.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:27 pm
Poor Imp says...

Flat-blade, double-edged short, with an oddly/nearly stunted cross-hilt - or I'd say something of the sort.

Helpful at all?
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

Reviews: 4
Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:48 pm
Zeige says...

if its important to the charector describe it as if it was part of them as if it was an exstension of their bodies if you know what i mean.

eg. gary reached down. gripped the golden handle tightly and unleashed the silver beast from its leather cage, the sun danced off the mirror like blade as he raised it above his head.

jus a quick example, don't know if thats any help
-The Alpha-

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:16 am
Shafter says...

It's probably a broadsword of sorts, but that's a rather general term. So ignore me and listen to Imp instead. ;)
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:59 pm
Fishr says...

(For those who wish to not scroll up). ;)

Ack. Well, with virutally no caffiene, let's see what I can come up with.

It's a double-edged sword. The hilt looks to be copper or prehaps brass. There are no known markings on the riscasso. Since the picture is poor and fuzzy, the petina looks to be stainless steal, which would suggest to me anyway that the overall age of the sword is not too old. And in fact by looking at the hilt, I see really no "age" or signs of use. This would also lead me to believe that the sword wasn't meant to be used as a fighting instrument but more of a display piece. It doesn't look authentic but factory-made.

I don't know enough about sword to suggest its origan or to know of enough of its pattern style. As I said the picture isn't the greatest example. I would need close-up shots of the blade and hilt to get "an idea" of the era this sword would have seen service.

Sorry I'm not much help though. I collect bowies and sawback knives as well as bayonets but I haven't gotten my hands on a sword yet. so I haven't done much research on them.
Last edited by Fishr on Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:28 pm
de_budding says...

As aforementioned, the way you describe it is going to be completely dependent on the importance of the sword.
A decor sword that happens to be hanging on the wall of a room your chars' pass through isn't going to get as much attention as the main heroes trusty blade of light, passed down through generations of paladins... and so on.

But then again there are many writers and artists who take the time to bring to life the apparently dull and irrelevant, like Vija Celmins who spends years working on the simplest inanimate objects like... Image
That is a 10 cm wooden model of an eraser :O

Dan x
"One who understands much displays a greater simplicity of character than one who understands little."
-Alexander Chase

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:47 pm
Swires says...

That eraser does look artistic.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl