Cal's Hyde Park Corner Soapbox Oration #1

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:33 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Cal's Hyde Park Corner Soapbox

The Grit

1. The Way of Words

Syntax, the dictionary defines it as a noun, the grammatical arrangement of words in sentences. One of the most simplistic syntax in the English language is subject, verb, object. Often writers use the same syntax over and over again. The sentences are remained unvaried and usually contain the same number of words. Or they are very complex, packed full of all sorts of interesting things, the problem being that they are too full. On the other hand, sentences can remain too sparse. The best way of things is to vary your sentence structure; play around with length, denseness and scarcity.

If I may be so bold and borrow my dear Dreamy for a spell.

Quote from The Chair of Wind and Darkness:

The speaker’s voice boomed out over the civilians heads in the dark auditorium, loud, harsh and graced by hollow distortion as it echoed over the hundreds of the packed-in working class and thundered up to a vaulted ceiling. It seemed even louder over the left side, over the leagues and leagues of deserted chairs, empty but for the dozen or so Kasimovs lounging high up in the consecutive middles of the far-back rows. Some of them had a boot hooked up on the back of the chair before him, as if to demonstrate to whoever cared to look that he was thoroughly hot and bored; which of course he was perfectly entitled to be, as a Kasimov. The people were perhaps too respectful, too intimidated to sit near them. Of course they had stared before the lights had gone down, little children who looked wide-eyed at the military dress sabers and the long coats, the medals that glimmered in the dark heat. They had doubtless been told not to talk to Kasimovs, not to approach them - those, on a higher plane of soldiery. High and strong like glossed granite, more polished around the edges.

Now, see here, the syntax remains heavy, and there is hardly any variation - this type of sentence structure I call Russianesque because of it’s similarity to the style of many of the famous Russian authors- Tolstoy, Nabokov, Dostoyevsky, and Pasternak.

What needs to happen here, is the diction needs to be flushed out, the syntax varied much more, some of it simplified. Also, try using the inverse, that can be fun.

STICKY-NOTE #1: Don’t rush. Don’t force things to happen before they are due. Don’t push too many things into a sentence just because you can. And for god-sakes be sparse when using fragmentation.

STICKY-NOTE #2: Inverted sentences. I think both Snoink and Brad (Incandescence) talked about inversion before; here are my two cents

So here is your first simple grammar lesson from your friendly neighborhood Neurologist Dr. Cal.

If a clause begins with a negative adverb, inversion should be used, with the subject following simple present/simple past of the verb to be, or the first auxiliary. If the simple present/simple past of any verb is not the verb to be, the auxiliary to do must be used. Here is a usage chart.

negative adverb or adverb phrase + verb to be or first auxiliary + subject

Examples: Little did I know we would again meet. No sooner had we left home, that it began to rain.

When inversion is used with a verb of motion, an adverb or adverb phrase of motion should be placed at the beginning of a clause, followed by the verb, followed by the subject of the verb.

adverb phrase of location + verb of motion + noun subject

Also inverted word order is used in subordinate clause of condition sentence if the conjunction is absent and there are words such as: should, would, had, were, could.

Examples: Should he come, ask him to wait. Were he here, he would help us. Had we known it, we would not have gone there.

2. Repetition vs. Redundancy

Let me clear these two things up right now.

Repetition: repeated action, performance, production, or presentation. Repeated utterance; reiteration.

Redundancy
: superfluous repetition or overlapping; superfluity.

Repetition includes the patterns of imagery, phrases, words, metaphors, similes, thoughts; the reiteration of themes, motifs, etcetera. Redundancy is, say, when characters blather on and on about things that they already know, or have been stated clearly earlier. Usually you find redundancy when the author is trying to make word count or can’t think of anything else to put there. Redundancy is evil as it often smacks the reader in the head with whatever you are trying to say. It’s like saying -Look at me! Look it’s me, again! Oh, look it’s still me. Do ya, do ya, get me now? Do ya?-

To use repetition to your advantage, try drawing similarities between your characters, or structure a scene where the repeated metaphor is more subtle, but still noticeable.

For example in my Nano, Heroine Diction, my protagonist Margo reiterates the same phrase many times, always just before she is going to get farther into trouble. “This is so not my day.”

3. “The Book is the boss.” - Alfred Bester

Limyaael discussed this in one of her rants, and I felt the need to do so as well. Hands down, the book is the boss. All that information you gather about characters, worlds, races, etc is essentially dispensable. What they are there for is for supports, something like the flying buttresses on a the later gothic cathedrals. From a Limyaael Rant:

Tolkien is usually pointed out as the exception to this, and sometimes to excuse an author’s tendency to dump in a whole lot of extraneous information. Thing is, Tolkien did cut some information out of his story and leave it in the appendices, including a lot of the history of Rohan, the romance of Aragorn and Arwen, the ultimate fates of most of the members of the Fellowship, and tons of Elvish language details. The facts that pop up in his books, including details of landscape and Elvish legends—and, yes, language—overwhelm many readers and turn them off Tolkien (and I think showed up where they did because Tolkien loved them too much to get rid of them entirely, while he could do without depicting a ton of romance). So “Tolkien did it!” is not a valid excuse for the novel to be loaded down with stupid details.

What does “stupid” mean in this context? It means, "Things that do not serve the story."

Yours,
Cal.

Up next Oration #2: The Business
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:40 am
Emerson says...

Are we not allowed to write in Russianesque? You know I've always had a thing for those Russian authors, especially Nabokov, I would have to say his style/voice is influencing my most recent story idea. Which also worries me, I'm worried I will subconsciously try to write like him...But I won't know until I actually start! Which is taking too long.

The grammar notes (on inverted sentences) went over my head I can completely admit. Which is terrible. Either my head hurts too much, or I cannot read grammar lessons and comprehend. I think its both.

The mention of not saying anything that doesn't serve the story, I like that, because I am also worried I may flood this poor novel with too much background. But once again, I won't know until I get around to writing it!

You work wonders for my procrastination. Keep it up.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:48 am
View Likes
Caligula's Launderette says...

Oh, there is nothing wrong with writing Russianesque, it's just that sometimes the sentences get too wordy, and such.

Yeah, grammar, it teh sucks. I'm sure someone somewhere could explain it much less technical.

:D

Don't be too worried about first draftsies, that is what editing is for.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:13 am
Griffinkeeper says...

CL, very impressive.

Limyaael is my writing heroine.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:40 am
Swires says...

Nice advice
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:17 pm
Poor Imp says...

Russianesque is indisputably the only way to write. ^_~ Of course, that's in an impishly facetious sense...

On a more earnest note - I'm always fond of reading your articles, CL: they're entertaining while thought-provoking. ^_^

IMP
Last edited by Poor Imp on Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:35 pm
Snoink says...

Hahaha... the sad part is, I am confused about the grammar part of the lesson, yet I supposedly did a tutorial about it. XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:38 pm
Emerson says...

Snoink?

That sounds like something that would happen to you...

I'd love to be better explained to about the grammar part... heh.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:44 pm
Snoink says...

*muses*

Well, I think auxillery verb are verbs like "was" "had been" and all that other stuff. So basically, instead of making everything like "he did," "he said" and so on, which can get really boring and very annoying, it looks like, "he was doing" or something like that. There's some confusion about this being passive voice, therefore bad, but actually it's imperfect past tense, which can be used to break up boring old preterite.

...at least that's what I got out of it anyway, lol.

Also! There is a fine line between redundacy and repetition. For instance, I might have this one scene where the slave and master roles are switched, but if I keep on switching the roles in the same way, it become redundant, not repetitious. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

You got rid of them. Yes, that's just like you. Getting rid of everything unpleasant instead of learning to put up with it.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World