z

Young Writers Society

romance

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:12 pm
xlilxzox says...

im thinking of writing a romance story, because it will be my first attempt, I would like some tips, like a story line, I was thinking about a girl who rins away from her abusive husband and meets a man, and they fall in love, but them she could find out something horrible about him!
Help me out please
lil zo

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:18 pm
Swires says...

OK, Its no use us giving you a story line. I can think of a thousand story lines and apply them to romance however many may not be very good and I would write mayve 2 in that thousand story lines because I wouldnt want to explore anything else.

You need to be excited about your characters, the story you are going to tell and the THEMES you want to explore.

OK, your story line at the moment seems cliche. However you can make it uncliche.

Perhaps this woman is a lesbian secretly and has forced herself to be in a broken marriage in a desperate attempt to try and "be normal". She leaves the man and finds a woman she truly loves however has to face the persecution of those around her in an attempt to stay with her love.

Its one idea. There are a thousand other ideas. You need to find inspiration and let the ideas bloom.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:25 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Hey hon,

Check out Too Darn Hot, for some tips I wrote on romance.

Hope these help,
CL
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

11 Reviews

Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:28 pm
xlilxzox says...

thats a good idea, might work on that thanks for that...how does this sound???
Donna- mother of 2 kids living with her husband, has always secretly been in love with her best mate who is a girl runs away to fufil her 'fantasies'
Diana' Donnas best friend, who has never had feeling other than friendship for Donna, then Donna persuades her
Jack- donnas husband, who has feelings for Diana,suggests alsorts of thing to get Donna back, but she sttles down with Diana

thats just some ideas i came up with quickly, ill probably work on them, but i think theyre quite good
When one door closes...another one opens...I think I've gone through ALL the doors in the world...

You say tomatoe i say tomato...?
I say potatoe you say potato...?
I say date you say...? Yes

614 Reviews

Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:38 pm
Swires says...

OK, but you cant publish it because its my idea and I have evidence that it is because of this forum so if it ever hits the shelves I can sue you.

You should really try out your own ideas, Im not bothered but Id hate to write about someone elses story. I like mine to be original and inspirational as possible.

11 Reviews

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:42 pm
xlilxzox says...

dont worry I'm gonna come up with some ideas of my own, ill prbably use the idea i used in my first post...
When one door closes...another one opens...I think I've gone through ALL the doors in the world...

You say tomatoe i say tomato...?
I say potatoe you say potato...?
I say date you say...? Yes

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:18 pm
Snoink says...

Hahaha... don't be mean, Adam. It might be your idea, but it's free game for anyone since it's so vague. I could probably use it and you wouldn't even notice it. You would never win a suit, lol.

For romances, try to be natural. You're going to have several conflicts going, but remember that the main character isn't the only one who carries emotional baggage to the story. Everyone of your characters does. That's what will make it sound rich and wonderful.

Good luck! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

614 Reviews

Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:32 am
Swires says...

lol, I was just joking which no one would have picked up on as I didn't include a "lol".

Take the idea BUT, if you ever publish just remember where the royalties go lol.

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:46 pm
Unrecompensed says...

Ideas sell stories, prose help. The ideas are the writers department, I'm afraid.
Merry Jesus-was-born Day

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:15 pm
Emerson says...

I'll admit, I haven't read much of the above posted. Though, I did read your general story idea.

I really only have one thing to say, your main one-sentence plot could seem as cliche as you want it, but the characters and the REAL story is what will make it unique. Not only is her husband abusive, but her father was too, and she knew her husband was abusive before hand, but you know you always end up marrying someone like your father. (And I'm not sure I believe this, but its a general notion)

Not only does she meet a new man, but its really her husbands missing brother. Conflict! You could just add anything in to spice it up.

It can be a romance but... make it more than that, if you want to avoid being read by only middle aged women and young, love sick girls.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

The Twelve Makeovers of Haircules is the stuff of legend. He defeated the Erymanthian Beard. One could say it was a hair raising adventure.
— KateHardy