z

Young Writers Society

Working Backwards

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:24 pm
Swires says...

I'm seriously thinking of writing the last chapter first and working backwards through the novel. What do you all think and is there any disadvantages of doing this?
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:32 pm
Emerson says...

I have never done this.

But it feels to weird for me, the only way I can know how my characters would react with the events in the book, is if I put them through it. So by the time I reached the beginning, my characters might have changed to something else, because the plot has gotten into them.

But, I've never done it. From what my thinking tells me, the only down side is that you don't get to develop your character through the story, which might leave room for a large, painful, time consuming, *adjective* edit.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

614 Reviews

Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:36 pm
Swires says...

Yes, I thought that after I posted. It might be worth writing the last 10 thousand words and the first then do the middle. I hate middles with a passion.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:41 pm
Emerson says...

ah, see that is a good plan.

You would know the ending (where you were headed) and can work out how to get there.

Maybe I should try this sometime? What made you want to do this? I guess it is a common suggestion, but I've never gone through with it. It seems weird to me, maybe I'm really chronological or something....
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

614 Reviews

Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:02 pm
Swires says...

Well I usually write 20K in chronological order, get boeard and toss it to one side. I have done this with many ideas. Its mainly because I dont know where Im going with it even though I have an outline of a story. This time however I know the ending to a T - but just to make sure I want to write it first. I have the last 400 words written which is sort of an epilogue to the tale of Blesser town but now I want the climax and anti climax before that. Then I can write the beginning with foreshadowing overtones and I can get through the middle more easily.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:11 pm
Myth says...

See Snoink's starting backwards.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

614 Reviews

Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:54 pm
Swires says...

Thankyou myth. I think Ill write the beginning then the end and then do the middle.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:23 pm
Myth says...

If it works for you go for it, experimenting is the best way to get new ideas and such. :D I think I'll try this for short stories.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

I should infinitely prefer a book.
— Mary Bennet, Pride and Prejudice