z

Young Writers Society

OK?

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:29 am
RoxanneR says...

I have written a new prologue to my story, but it's 3 A4 pages long! Is this too long for a prologue?

And what length chapters do you usually write. At the moment mine are about 3 A4 pages long. Is this ok?

Please help!

RR*
Want a faithful critique? PM me!

Luv RR*

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:36 am
Myth says...

RR, that all depends. Does the prologue tell a story? If it isn't important to the rest of your novel/story then you should take it out. I usually go for prologues that are up to four pages long but editing make it at least six/seven pages because important things are missed out.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:09 pm
Snoink says...

Haha... I don't count pages because font sizes vary. So I do words instead. My word count for chapters runs from 1500-2500. I don't like prologues though -- I'll skip them when I read a book. XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:13 pm
Via says...

I tend to skip prologues as well =/

I would probably take the prologue, if it's really important enough to be in the book, and make it the first chapter [add a little to it, perhaps].

But, that's just my opinion. :)
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

Reviews: 4
Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:09 am
Zeige says...

like the others said if its important to the story then keep it if not then maybe a good idea to leave it out, if you keep it then i'd say it'll need to be about the lenght as a small chapter 3-5 pages maybe i'm not too sure all depends if there alot details you need the reader to understand before hitting the story.

i usually use size 11 font and use a double line spaceing it gives you about 30 lines of text on A4

i try to make my chapters up to 8 pages long if i can but all depends on the scenes of the story if not alot happens the harder it is stretch it out

if that helps cool if not ignore me :P
-The Alpha-

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:58 am
Swires says...

Yes, first thing to do is rename Prologue to CHapter 1. It just makes everything so much less clichéd.

Next, Id say length of a prologue doesnt matter as long as it is shorter than your average chapter length. But, it all depends on Word count as snoink said.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:48 pm
Unrecompensed says...

I have a huge problem with prologues. Ninety nine times of your a hundred, you don't need it. See if you can fit it into the story, as prologues tend to be boring info dumps.

Have the information you give in the prologue sprinkled throughout the book.
Merry Jesus-was-born Day

The person who has no opinion will seldom be wrong.
— Anonymous