z

Young Writers Society

What's gone wrong?

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:21 pm
RoxanneR says...

I have just written a new prologue to my novel, yet I feel there is one sentence that spoils it, but I don't know why.

Can anybody help me?

"The wound was deep, and the aim had been deadly accurate."

Where have I gone wrong with this, or is there nothing wrong with it and I'm just thinking there is?

RR*
Want a faithful critique? PM me!

Luv RR*

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:31 pm
Myth says...

Try replacing 'and' with 'as'. Or you can just post it, without knowing what has happened I don't know how to help.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:16 pm
Snoink says...

Hmm.... I'm thing it might be an ordering issue. Like, the most powerful stuff is put at the end to create a more dramatic effect.

Otherwise, you might want to describe the wound better. Play with that a little, if you dare! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:52 pm
Chandni says...

Well what disturbs me is the deadly accurate deadly accurate... it just sounds wrong. I tried to find something that replaces, but no luck.

Other than that I'd suggest leave the "had been" and as said before the "and" I think that could be removed. Maybe I'm fitting a stanza line here hehe my mind is set too poetic but you could use it.

so it would be :

"The wound was deep, the aim deadly accurate"
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:26 am
Poor Imp says...

RoxanneR wrote:I have just written a new prologue to my novel, yet I feel there is one sentence that spoils it, but I don't know why.

Can anybody help me?

"The wound was deep, and the aim had been deadly accurate."

Where have I gone wrong with this, or is there nothing wrong with it and I'm just thinking there is?

RR*

You have order problems. You've told us about a wound, and then gone backwards to refer the aim of what we don't necassarily know. You're killing the point of your sentence. ^_^

Perhaps if you tied the wounds deepness to the accuracy by describing their relation to each other? Like so - "The wound was deep, aim so accurate it had left a neat hole straight through shoulder/bloody gash from shoulder to hip/his head half off his shoudlers..."

As I don't know what happened, I can't be specific. ^_^ But you see how, with the above, the accuracy now describes the wound?

I do hope that's somewhat helpful.

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:56 am
Fand says...

If you'd like to keep the same general wording, I'd try something more like this:

The wound was deep; the aim had been deadly accurate.

Sometimes when a sentence is bothering me, I try recasting it and inserting a colon or semi-colon; a lot of times it does the trick. ;)
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:41 am
RoxanneR says...

Thanks for all that help! I have jiggle it around a bit and it sounds much better now!

I owe you one!

RR*
Want a faithful critique? PM me!

Luv RR*

The mind of man is capable of anything - because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness