z

Young Writers Society

Anyone try acting?

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:53 pm
RoxanneR says...

When I am writing a novel, I always find it helpful for some of my mates to come around and help me act the parts out.

This doesn't make me mad, I have to explain to them, it just helps we to know how the characters are speaking, because otherwise, how are we meant to know?

Facial expressions are another helpful thing, as is body language and movements.

And, of course, it helps to have a few bars of chocolate for the actors, so that they'll want to come again...

Am I just being really stupid or do others find it helpful too?

RR*
Want a faithful critique? PM me!

Luv RR*

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:02 pm
tinny says...

It sounds like a good idea though I've never tried it before. I know I usualy end up mimicing my characters when I write, but not the other way round. I'll have to kidnap L and try it out.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

90 Reviews

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:05 pm
RoxanneR says...

Doesn't everyone pretend to be their characters once in a while?!

RR*

Luv RR*

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:14 pm
Myth says...

I've never tried this. I can't ask anyone to help 'act out' my characters as only few people know I write and my kid siblings aren't interested. I'll have to do it myself (my characters usually want to be left alone *pokes Monessa*).

If it helps you I think you should go on, even if the idea shoulds crazy.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

90 Reviews

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:19 pm
RoxanneR says...

Yep, it's a pretty mad idea, but it seems to work for me.

But, then again, many people say that I am mad, and I don't think Mr. Bubbles want's to disagree.

RR*

P.S. Mr. Bubbles is my alter-ego. :D

Luv RR*

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:56 pm
Fand says...

This would never have worked before, but now that I'm attending a college whose main draw is its drama program, I'm going to have to give it a try!
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:00 pm
Via says...

I have never tried acting....but what I do do is read the story out loud--the spoken lines as well as the narrated. This, I think, has nearly the same affect as acting the story out and it allows me to find the parts where I'm missing something or something doesn't make sense.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:51 pm
Areida says...

That's a really good idea, but I don't know anyone who wouldn't either mock everything I've written or be too embarrassed to do me any good.

I usually run the stuff through my head; I see it all like a movie, music, close-ups, overhead shots, and all. Sometimes I read things out loud, but often I can't find a place to do it where people can't hear me.

If it works for you, though, it sounds like a great idea.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:20 pm
Jiggity says...

I'm in agreement with Write me and Areida, thats the type of thing I ususally do. I would never ever ask my friends to help me act out one of my stories. I'd die of embarrassment!
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:05 pm
Snoink says...

LOL. I don't think it would work with the subject matters I have.

But oh well!

Don't worry; you're in good company. Lorca, one of my most favorite writers, did this too. He often would have parties where they performed his plays, and he was loved for it.

Nice tip! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

90 Reviews

Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:44 am
RoxanneR says...

I go to a drama school and they once asked me to write a play for them. I acted it out with my friends and then I started doing it with my stories as well.

RR*

Luv RR*

90 Reviews

Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:56 am
rosethorn says...

Interesting that this would come up.

Before I was ever a writer, I was a roleplayer. Roleplaying actually comes before writing for me. Not acting. I'm not one for audiences. But stangely enough, my stories are more accurately told through roleplaying. Roleplaying is on my mind 88% of the time really. I've become very much engulfed in the practice.

So I can totally see how acting out the part would be beneficial for the writing craft, though I tend to keep the two seperate. Seperate stories, seperate art forms. Because they move at different speeds.

I can't say you're not crazy for it though. I have my own doubts about myself. :wink:

As always,

Miss POKE

90 Reviews

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:07 am
RoxanneR says...

I think of it being an interesting way to find the true meaning of my story.

It may be craziness, but hey, if craziness is going to get your book to the bestsellers list, I figured it's worth it.

RR*

Luv RR*

Reviews: 2
Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:19 pm
fredlikesmen says...

deleted due to content

Random avatar

Reviews: 82
Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:30 pm
View Likes
misspriss says...

I know I pretend to be my character all the time. My favorite story I'm writing is called The Black Bandit and when I wrote it, I had the best time ever. I could FEEL their sorrow, joy, or pain. It was really weird.

That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo - and it's worth fighting for.
— Samwise Gamgee