z

Young Writers Society

Anyone try acting?

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:41 pm
de_budding says...

To me this is very much like jamming for musicians, but instead of a set of characters and scenarios to study and record for embellishment later the musician will have a key, predetermined chord progressions, some chosen scales, modes etc. Sounds like a very good way to explore your characters as well, once your in character do you go as far as to ad lib some extra dialog? Recording this would be great as well, this would allow you to go back and review all the subtleties that make up some ones 'character'. hidden mannerisms, hand gestures, facial expression like you said etc.

Also to the guys who say they would be to embarrassed to expose there work to friends in such a raw form, or who think there friends would be reluctant why not set up a net meeting with some of your close YWS friends :)
"One who understands much displays a greater simplicity of character than one who understands little."
-Alexander Chase

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:20 pm
Shafter says...

I find it helpful to act out my story, but I do it alone. Mostly I use acting for the action scenes. For instance, how fast can you run with your hands tied behind your back? What's the most comfortable way to sleep on a hard floor? And (with the help of my rapier), what would be the best parry for an attack at the head?
Sometimes my sister and I will role-play over mugs of hot cocoa, which always manages to severely confuse one of my family members... especially since I usually role-play as a guy. ;)
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:52 pm
Swires says...

Yes it sounds good for visualising Characters - I think Trudi Canavan did this with The Black Magician series.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:01 pm
Esmé says...

Uhm... To tell you the truth I never acted out my character. Never even thought of doing it...

Wow. Acting it out with your frineds? Then you would have to actually show it in the first place ^_^ Hehe, not many people know that I like to write, much less that I've been writing since... Uhm, since I got my first computer. Not even my mother.

And no. I'm never going to show anything. Lol. -But, in the enclosure of my own room? Maybe, maybe...

-elein

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:08 pm
Leonheart says...

i wouldn't ever go as far as acting with friends, even though me and a couple of my friends do drama at school, and always act as our own group. i wouldn't feel right acting my own piece with friends. i can see where it helps

i act my characters alone sometimes. mum thinks one of us is going mad, because she keeps hearing me talking to myself, and coming in and im just laying in bed, having stopped seconds before she entered. she thinks she's hearing things, and she think i talk to myself.

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:27 pm
piepiemann22 says...

Hey that's a good idea, I'll try it.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:38 am
Doctor Kitty says...

Some old friends of mine did this all the time.

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:38 am
Shine says...

Thats is indeed a good idea.

Actually you can also play out your own written story in a programme or something like that.Here many of my friends do that.
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:07 pm
Joeducktape says...

I DO THIS!

However, it's just me doing it. So my Mom constantly walks in on me asking why and what I'm talking to my self about.
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door.
— Kyle Chandler