z

Young Writers Society

Last Names

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:26 pm
-KayJuran- says...

I just chose one of my character's surnames (Delamere) and I like it 'cause you could think of it as 'de la mer' (of the sea), plus I think it sounds pretty. :)
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:43 am
Pushca says...

Poor Imp wrote:Though my fencing coach is Polish, and has a name shortened by his grandfather (not wanting to sound Polish) so that it sounds Italian. !_!

i know someone who's grandfather did that. she wishes she was still a staniswoski.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:11 am
Esmé says...

Pushca wrote:
Poor Imp wrote:Though my fencing coach is Polish, and has a name shortened by his grandfather (not wanting to sound Polish) so that it sounds Italian. !_!

i know someone who's grandfather did that. she wishes she was still a staniswoski.

:) I just wanna post something of a correction here :):
a) If your friend is a she, then her surname would be staniswoska
b) In english such a letter does not exist, but in polish, insted of the 'w' in the last name, there would b an 'l' with a small line. (The 'l' has the same sound as the english 'w'.)
Hehe, polish is horrible. You have no idea how many spelling mistaked I get on reports and end up with a C, lol.

As to the thread, I just make up my own names and last names. I usually think of a some word, then play around with it. -Or, when I havent got any ideas, go beg to my friends and make them think of something :). Another method is just using last names or names from other books.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:32 pm
tinny says...

I've started raiding street signs for last names. Alot of them are pretty unusual and quite interesting.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

Reviews: 0
Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:55 pm
Roxy says...

I find last names harder than first names to come up with. I sit and watch film credits too, although it's not good for my social life, it works!

How do people find first names?

I just take names from my friends, or make them up.

Roxy
I eat losers for breakfast...

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:11 pm
Esmé says...

Roxy wrote:
How do people find first names?

I just take names from my friends, or make them up.

Roxy

Exactly that Rozy, exactly that. Friends don;t like it, but do they have a say, lol. No. Muahahaha.

As to the making up... It's weird, but if I have a totally innocent word, e.g. orange. Yay, orange! Corange. torange, lorange. Ok, I like the sound of the last one. Lorange. I can either leave it like that or go farther, editing, It fin, lol.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:31 am
Prosithion says...

go to this link. It is very very hlpful: http://surnames.behindthename.com/

Just click the origin you want.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:08 am
Elelel says...

Lately I've started making them up. I got one name I was really happy with, however, and then later saw it in the credits of a TV show. A very big WTF moment, let me tell you. The show wasn't even around when I was making up the name.

But I think they are sort of important. I mean, they are a big identy thing for people. You had your last name before you even had your first name. So I give my characters last names. I don't always put their last names in all the time, but I know they have them.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

Maybe what most people wanted wasn't immortality and fame, but the reassurance that their existence had meant something. No matter how long... or how brief. Maybe being eternal meant becoming a story worth telling.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality