z

Young Writers Society

Query Letter

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:13 am
Alteran says...

This tip is Brought to YWS by the CCF

A query letter is pretty much the basis of any submission. It is also called the cover letter. Here I will be giving a few helpful hints on how to construct one. Of course all of this is based off of experience and research. I have never been published so take it or leave it.

The first thing you do is find out what the editor that will be reading your submission’s name is. Dear Editor is a generic term and you will have a very slim chance of the editor actually reading the rest of your letter or your work. If their name is not posted on the site or magazine you can either call or email the publishing company or magazine and ask. They will happily give it to you.

Your first paragraph should have a pleasant greeting. I usually write, “Hello, My name is Adam.” The editor should always know who is writing to them. And it tells the editor that you have some manners. Next you’ll want to tell whether your work is completed or uncompleted, the title and the word count. When submitting a novel I suggest having it completed and revised a few times. It shows the editor you are willing to work. It could go something like this, “I currently have a completed novel of about 56000 (you can also write 56k) I have titled The Order of Atlantis: Rise of the Shadows” You can either underline or italicize the book title. I prefer italicizing as it gives the letter a more elegant look. The first paragraph is short. It gives the editor the basics of the book.

The next paragraph is for describing the work you are trying to sell. This often looks like the description on the back of a book or the inside dust cover. Some submissions require a synopsis, which is an over view of the entire novel. When you describe your novel you want to make it as interesting as possible. Catch the editor’s attention. The facts of the novel do not have to be in order as long as they capture the editor and make him or her want to read your work. If it’s a synopsis then it will go in order but for a synopsis just use the most exciting parts of the novel. It’s all about making your novel appear as interesting as it is. You can break your novel description into separate paragraphs if you want but remember you only have a page to try and sell your work. While describing your novel you want to show the editor what makes your novel original, memorable, and a stand out among other novels.

The next paragraph is for your credentials. Have you been published before? What were you published for? Did you write a magazine article, a newspaper article? I only have one publication, which is in my local newspaper but it lets the editor know that others have enjoyed your writing. You can also use this paragraph (if you have room) to go in depth a little further in your novel. If there is something you think is very interesting and the editor needs to know, tell them. But don’t overwhelm with information. It will be an info dump and the editor will then suspect it in your novel. A side note or two should be fine. Just make sure it is something that will help your sale.

And then we come to the conclusion. This paragraph is good for a personal touch. The editor wants to know who the author is because personality is also part of getting published. Show your dedication and that you enjoy what you do. The last sentence should be courteous. I use something like, “Thank you for taking the time to read my submission and I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.” It’s nice and you don’t look desperate. Just like any relationship…desperation is a turn off. Finish up with a sincerely or a thank you. Leave a few lines (two usually) and type your name. Once it is printed sign in the space between sincerely and your typed name. It gives another personal touch and shows the editor your signature, which you will use a lot if you get published.

When submitting look over the submission guidelines carefully. Look at other books the company has published and make sure your book falls in the same category. Look ever what the company wants and plan your letter carefully. Proofread it when your down. That is a major turnoff to an editor. A bunch of grammar, typos and spelling mistakes is a one way ticket to the trash. And never forget your SASE (Self Addresses Stamped Envelope)

Good luck to all of you in your quest to become published.

Adam
Last edited by Alteran on Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:15 am
Alteran says...

One other thing:

Put your information in the top left corner of the letter.

Name
Address
Telephone #
Email Address
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:57 pm
smaur says...

If you're interested in writing an articulate and engaging query letter, check out Evil Editor and Miss Snark, both of whom critique query letters on a regular basis. (And yes, they've both got credentials: Evil Editor is, surprise, an editor, and Miss Snark is an agent.) They're both very helpful and their critiques are generally a very interesting read.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:15 pm
Sureal says...

Nice artical ^_^.

And to add on: http://www.shunn.net/format/ has manuscript layouts (it talks about double typing, fonts etc) :).
I wrote the above just for you.

And then, as if written by the hand of a bad novelist, an incredible thing happened.
— Bartimaeus of Uruk