z

Young Writers Society

Instead of said, you can use......

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:54 am
Emerson says...

I stick to said, whispered, shouted and maybe one or another now and then.

But I try hard to use no tags at all, the action, and what they say, should speak for me. Tags are for loosers :-p

But, nice list!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:49 am
Snoink says...

No! We love "murmured." And "added." And "replied." And "hissed." And...

*flails*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:52 am
Poor Imp says...

I stick to said, whispered, shouted and maybe one or another now and then.

But I try hard to use no tags at all, the action, and what they say, should speak for me. Tags are for loosers :-p

But, nice list!

Tags are good. Like all else for the wise, in moderation, yes? Sometimes you've just got to use dialogue tags unless you want the talk to sound awkward and the action stilted. ^_^
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:04 pm
RoxanneR says...

That's a very long list, and very helpful!

But I seem to have a curse on me that I have to add a 'said' word in a sentence. Anyone else?

RR*
Want a faithful critique? PM me!

Luv RR*

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:59 pm
Unrecompensed says...

Finding one thousand replacements for said will do you more harm than good. Said is your friend, and the sooner you embrace that, the sooner you'll improve.

A lot of the time, you don't need said at all.

Julie closed her eyes and let the tear fall across the contours of her face. 'Get the hell out of my house.'

'I told you before.' Harold turned back on him. 'I don't want no damn leaflet!'

'Maybe tomorrow.' Amy flicked her hair and walked away.

Like I said, if you start replacing said with anything you can find, your writing will suffer. Using the extreme of using said as an argument for said-bookisms is extremely silly. It's like using the effects of 100% oxygen to support not breathing.

Also, words like shouted, yelled and whispered should be used sparingly. You don't need to tell the reader something they should aleady know. If I can't tell some guy is shouting before the tag, you've lost as a writer. Never used adjectives to describe tags, either; it's even worse. A reader should know how someone speaks by what they do and what they say. If a reader can't, then you've lost, and you need to rewrite.

- Andy
Merry Jesus-was-born Day

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:35 pm
Esmé says...

Eeeeh, I end up rewrting a lot, lol...

I have no idea what I do when I write. Probably use 'said' all the time. Of course, a few synonims can be found, but i normally stick with 'said'. -Up to a point, of course. I was reading this dialogue today, and after each " there was 'blah blah blah SAID' or vice versa, 'said blah blah blah'. (Normally I don't even realize that, these posts made 'said' somehow grab my attention today...)
However, I do not think that upper mentioed dialogues are common... Probably I just had the luck to stumble upon a crappy book (long, dreary, and booring. Stopped reading on the fifth page, stopped skimming near the middle. And here goes reading 'to improve you english'.

P.S. REALLY nice list. All rights reserved? :)

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:59 pm
blackwings_angel says...

You know you repeated a few words like 7 times. I'm just pointing it out and i thought it was kinda funny.

It's funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief