z

Young Writers Society

The Worst Thing Ever In The Eternity Of The Writing World!

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:17 pm
RoxanneR says...

You know what really makes me angry?! When I've got a really good story plot, and all the characters and everything, but I can't find a possible way on earth to start!

Writer's Block is the most hateful thing that I have ever experienced, but I seem to get it a whole lot more than other people. :evil: Does anyone else find this?

RR*
Want a faithful critique? PM me!

Luv RR*

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:14 pm
Sureal says...

Try just sitting down and force yourself to write. Don't worry about quality of writing - just write. Quality can come in the edit.

Works for me :).
I wrote the above just for you.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:09 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

RoxanneR, when it come to beginnings, I feel your pain. Actually, you desrcibed one of my own works pretty well in that second sentance. Once I get the ball rolling, it's relatively smooth sailing from there. It's just getting started that's the hard part. I'm still not sure just how and where I want to start my novel, and I've been working on that thing for at least two years.

For now, just get a placeholder. Write something down. You may scrap the scene, it may stay but not as the beginning, but you have something. You may not even know where to start until you're almost done with the first draft. Just, get something down; you'll figure it out later.

Oh, and with writing blocks, do something else or look over scribbles of old and possibly worthless story ideas or notes you've jotted down. You might find something interesting in there. And always remember, it's never right the first time, and it still won't be right in the final edition. Just get it down and hone it has far as you feel you can. It will never be the perfect story, but it can be pretty dang close, and that's what you should shoot for.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:16 am
Snoink says...

Force yourself to write. One thing that helps me is starting several different beginnings on the same Word document, except you vary the styles. Like, you can have a boring style, a feminist style, and so on. Just label them. Then, after ten or so beginnings, pick which one is truest to the character and go with that one for a while! After writing a bit, if the beginning is still horrible, you can do the same thing, no problem. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:28 am
Cassandra says...

Don't worry too much about the beginning, as you will probably end up changing it later. Example? I was about 20k into my non-nano novel, decided I hated the beginning, and therefore rewrote the entire thing from the beginning onwards. Yeah. So don't worry too much. Just get that novel/story/whatever started! :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:56 am
Shafter says...

I agree with everyone else! :D Forcing yourself to write is the best thing you can do. And, just to reiterate: usually the best way for most people to get started is NOT to start at the beginning. Start in a scene, any scene, and work from there. Write a prologue you know you're going to throw away later, start on chapter two, begin with a random scene. Just WRITE!
Good luck!
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:00 am
Emerson says...

If you don't know where to start, outline your plot and maybe then you can find the BEST place to start from.

If you still can't find a starting place, start from the very beginning! (which you can edit out later if it is needed.)

Maybe you don't know enough about your story? That is also a possibility. You might be subconsciously not knowing where to start from because you don't know enough about where you are going.

I hope this was helpful :-)
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Reviews: 3
Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:50 am
zomg_briana says...

Yes, forcing yourself to write is helpful.

Usually when I get writers block, I write up bits and pieces... and then it will all fit together...

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:41 pm
Pushca says...

I am only sometimes in the mood, and forcing it ends badly. (sorry, had to do it. *shuts up*)

seriously, though, if you can't write then maybe... you should give it some time? ok nevermind that one.

Starting at the point you most want to write sometimes helps. what briana said about bits and pieces is true, too.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:06 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Take a break. Go for a walk or eat a snack. Get your mind off it for fifteen minutes or a half hour and then come back to it.

If that doesn't work, give it a day. Sleep on it and then try the next morning.

If that doesn't work, force it. Sometimes, after things don't go well, you start telling yourself that you can't write it and then it's all a mental thing and you just have to psych yourself up and dive in.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

This is a house of homes, a sacred place, by human passion made divinely sweet.
— Alfred Joyce Kilmer