z

Young Writers Society

To Rip Apart

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:19 am
Snoink says...

One of the reasons why writers don't want to extensively edit their work because it's SO HARD. I'm serious. Some editing, for me, is easy to do, but to rewrite? Wow. I have to kick myself in the butt before I would do that.

The reason for this? When I write, usually I have a direction to go in and everything's fine. I just write. But when I look back, OMG, the errors pop up. I see bad characters, bad dialogue, and it's hideous. So what do I do? Yup. Editing...

The problem is, especially when you have to rewrite certain sections, the story begins to suck. Like, horribly. Anything good you thought you have begins to look horrible and you want to stab your work until it dies in some horribly painful way.

You're probably experienced the horrible trauma of a rewrite before. Now, for me, I know I have definite conflicting emotions. Sometimes I think I'm the most terrible writer of them all because my rewrites suck. Other times, I want to give up and just stop trying. Still other times, I want to revert to the way it used to be. But, usually, I just trudge on, like a moron, to finish it.

But then something special happens. A new plot twist comes up, a character does something, and then suddenly things start falling into place. It's amazing what desperation can do! But, in the end, the edited piece isn't simply as good as the first draft. It leaves the first draft in the dust, writhing in humiliation.

And yes, it takes a long time, but it's well worth the effort. Happy editing! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:23 am
Poor Imp says...

The best part, and maybe the only light side of editing, is the time it makes you look at your story again. Sometimes you run into the most interesting side plots, character quirks...

Of course, as you say, Snoink, it drives you up a wall as well. #_#

Long time or no, a good article to recall the importance of it. ^_^

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:31 am
Firestarter says...

Wow, one day I'll be able to rewrite something -- once I finish the first draft!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:59 am
Shafter says...

:lol:
I love editing! But rewriting can be a real pain somtimes. I'm in the middle of completely rewriting my climax (the pitfall of starting a novel at fourteen), and it can be both fun and challenging. The thing I like about rewriting is that you get to cover new ground, revisit old characters, and write them better than you did the first time. But then of course there is the problem of sucky writing in the meantime.
That's something I'm still working on...
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:13 pm
Myth says...

I agree that it is hard. But I have come to know my chapters and characters so well I let them do the writing, I now find editing fun (and typos and repeated sentences make me laugh).
.: ₪ :.

'...'

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:06 pm
aeroman says...

Rewriting...ugh, I get depressed whenever I have to rewrite. But, I always find it ends up better than the original like you said. This is a good topic Snoink.
They haven't invented the missile that can kill an ideal.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:10 pm
Wiggy says...

You guys have already stated it all! :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

My one true aspiration in life is to make it into the quote gen.
— avianwings47