z

Young Writers Society

want to publish a story

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:17 am
BarrettBenedict says...

I've got this story I want to get published, yet there are a few questions I have about the whole process. For one I want to know if this particular story of mine is even publishable. You'll find the one I am speaking of in my portfolio titled Caricature of a Deity. Any tips on how to make it publishable, if it is not, would be a great help. Also I would like to know of an appropriate place to publish this particular story, perhaps publications in which the subject matter would be at home. I'm new to the whole publishing thing so any tips from anyone out there with published works already would be greatly appreciated.

Barrett
"Is", "is." "is" — the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment. -Robert Anton Wilson

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:08 am
Shafter says...

'Ello, bent!

I am a published writer (although nonfiction, unfortunately), but since my mom has published five books, I know a little about the industry, so... hope this post offers some helpful advice!

First of all, edit edit edit. I don't have time to read your story right now, but I skimmed the comments and they looked helpful (even Snoink's, tough as that may be). Make it the best you can possibly make it.

Define its genre, then look at a market guide and circle the possible markets for it. Do your research! Submitting to the correct magazine will automatically put you in the top percentage of submissions.

Check submission guidelines. Sometimes markets want a query, or a submission, or an e-submission. Be sure to follow the guidelines carefully.

Write a killer query letter, if it's what you need. There are tons of good resources to help you with this. Your query letter must be just as well-written as your story.

Submit a lot. Some magazines will allow simultaneous submissions, others don't. Keep track of your submissions! As soon as you get rejected, submit again. Remember, Jack London submitted his novel 600 times before it was accepted!

Hope this helps. Be sure to let me know how you fare!

Cheers! ~Shafter
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:02 pm
Sureal says...

Buy the Writers and Artists Yearbook (or something similiar). It has loads of tips and advice, and also gives a listing of Literary Agents and Publishers (and their contact details). You can order it from Amazon.

For magazine submissions for short stories (and it's good to build up a small 'portfolio' of published pieces), try searching on www.duotrope.com
I wrote the above just for you.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:31 pm
Myth says...

You could try browsing through local newspapers or magazines. I would do the same but they don't accept anyone under 21. :evil:

Some libraries also have information so you can check them out.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:37 pm
BarrettBenedict says...

Hey guys, thanks for all your help, especially that website sureal, but alas, my original question was less about publishing in general, and more about publishing a specific story. I'd like for someone to read it over, and see if there are any editing mistakes, as well as giving thier honest opinion as to whether or not the content would be suffiecient to impress any would-be publishers. Then I would like tips on where the best place to publish that story would be, based on it's content. Once again the story is called Caricature of a Deity. This is the link: viewtopic.php?t=8241
"Is", "is." "is" — the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment. -Robert Anton Wilson

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:09 pm
Firestarter says...

Sureal, that site is brilliant! Nice one. I needed something like that.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:25 pm
Sureal says...

Jack: Nate posted it here a while ago. I think I was the only one who noticed it ;).
I wrote the above just for you.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:34 am
Pushca says...

do a ton of research online. that is pretty much my only advice. i'm kinda out of it right now though.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

Reviews: 0
Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:18 am
Alicia K. Hudson says...

Well, I believe that any genre can be published. From cute puppies an rainbows, to highly rated suspense thrillers. I've found one website in particular that would certainly help you out. Authorhouse.com is the URL. They're just so great there. I hope it can help you out, and good luck with your writing!

Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss