z

Young Writers Society

Reviewing Motivation

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:46 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Reviewing is the lifeblood of YWS, so why not have a thread where we motivate each other to review? Feel free to post things like review tips, your favourite KB reviewing articles, quotes or music that motivates you to review, or reasons that motivate your reviewing here!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

542 Reviews

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:51 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Here's a very random amalgamation of things!

Some Reasons to Review: a running list

1. Reviewing is good for you because you're teaching yourself how to give useful feedback in a polite, friendly and encouraging way. This is an important skill whenever you're working in a team, e.g. at uni or at work or volunteering.

2. Reviewing is good for the world because it encourages writers, and encouraged writers will continue to write.

3. For me at least, I've applied my skills reviewing works on YWS to reviewing my own essays and assignments before I submit them - and that has helped me a lot in editing.

Things to do to motivate reviewing

1. Look up review tips in KB to find new ideas on how to do it.
2. Join KotGR!
3. Set aside a time in the day for you to review.
she/her

542 Reviews

542 Reviews

Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:13 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

4. Making your way to the top of the leaderboards, whether for the week, month or day, is a nice feeling

5. It expands your reading experience.

6. It's a kind of writing practice: you get something short written and submit it!
she/her

243 Reviews

Reviews: 243
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:51 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Just going to add some of my reasons to the list, if you don't mind... :3

7. Reviews can be a way of having a friendly conversation with the author! I find it amazing that on YWS, you can communicate so easily with the writer and share thoughts and ask any questions you have. And if the author replies, it can even lead to a fun discussion on the characters, plot, or other parts of the piece!

8. By doing reviews, you can meet more ywsers. And chances are, those ywsers will remember you and pop over to review some of your works as well! Symbiotic relationships, yay =P
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

542 Reviews

Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:45 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Those are great reasons, @Spearmint!

9. Reviewing is great practice for identifying specific things about a text that you like or dislike. Being specific in your thoughts is a super applicable skill to a lot of things! Like writing papers for uni, or getting an idea of what your own strengths/weaknesses are, or what you want to do for a career . . .

10. THAT FEELING when you've managed to finish a review you've been struggling with is a great one!
she/her

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:57 pm
View Likes
herbalhour says...

11. you can read some great works

12. it expands your vocabulary :o

spotify
NOW PLAYING:
I Think He Knows, Taylor Swift
0:10 ──●───────── 2:55
◁∥ ||PLAY|| // STOP // ∥▷

~l o v e r~

herb/tea/hour! He/She

projects:
5 acts (poetry)
treading through abyss (novel)

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:07 pm
View Likes
OrabellaAvenue says...

13. When I first joined, getting reviews on my work was the greatest feeling ever, and is the most prominent reason I stayed. Reviewing someone's work, whether you know them or not, helps both you and the person you reviewed feel happy. (Like a symbiotic relationship!)

14. To review something, you need to read the work first! (Or at least, I hope you do) Every writer I know loves reading something, whether it's fantasy, historical fiction, or graphic novels! Reviewing means reading first, and reading is always such an adventure. :D
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
~Dr. Seuss

Orabella ~ Ora ~ Avenue ~ Aven
She/her

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:33 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

15. Reviewing encourages you to engage deeply with a work, beyond the mere surface level understanding, which makes reading and writing more fun when you read this way in my opinion.

16. If you review multiple poems by the same author you can begin to appreciate not just their individual poems, but their work as a whole - and start to take notice of aspects of their unique poetic voice along with themes that carry from poem to poem to poem - which in turn, can help you develop your own poetic voice by having an understanding of what makes a poetry collection feel unified rather than separated.

17. Reviewing works is I'm convinced the best way to understand how literary devices function in practice. Like reading about cars and then getting behind the wheel, you get to experience the literary devices and then analyze how they are contributing to the work as a whole.

18. Reviewing can help you have a more "positive" eye towards writing if you commit to looking for a few positives in every work, eventually I think it makes you actually read the works more positively too instead of just reading with a exclusively critical lens of reading.

19. Reviewing is a good way to "make your mark" on the site. People will probably forget most of my works within a couple days after they are posted, but anyone can look on the all time leaderboard at any time and admire the amount of time and effort it took to reach the top 20. I think it communicates an amount of care and commitment to the community to be willing to use your time to review, and I think that is something worthy to take pride in.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

Once you have people's attention, you have a greater responsibility to tell them something of value.
— Tobias Forge (Ghost B.C.)