z

Young Writers Society

Book + Website links about writing and honing craft

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:15 pm
BeingRivy says...

Hi guys I really need everyones' help!
I really REALLY a book and website links about writing and learning about sentences and how to write better sentences with examples. I also want that book to have writing prompts and learning to write better and to hone your craft. I want to hone my craft of fiction writing without failure! Which book and websites do you recommend?

And what do i do at this rate? I haven't written a single story because of my drawing ideas and me wanting to make comics. And I really stuck in a rut, where i have to write or draw, and I procrastinate and end up drawing instead of writing. what do i do? and any tips and advice and ideas?
I'm so stuck, i'll never make a story at this rate. I really need help to collaborate on a story, or if not, I'm afraid i have reached my limit. What can i do? I can't even make a story without crying and sloppily making a terrible sentence. i know nothing about independent clause, dependent clause, simple, compound, complex, and compound complex subjects. If i don't learn enough about being the best i'll have to push myself to a level of burnout. That's the only way i can brainwash myself and be a better writer! What am i ever gonna do??? Can anyone pleez give me advice and tips and exercises and sites and books???????
From, @BeingRivy .

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:40 pm
looseleaf says...

Hey Rivy!

I already answered a question like this in one of your other threads so I'll just paraphrase my answer here: the best advice I can give you is to read other people's books. Websites like NaNoWriMo can only provide so much help. YWS has plenty of forums you can read through with advice as well. Also, if you want true advice on specific pieces of work, you've gotta share them with other people. I am willing to bet that your work isn't as terrible as you're making it out to be.

Have a good day! <3
looseleaf

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:56 pm
BeingRivy says...

Thanks @looseleaf,

But what are the websites links related to writing are called?
What are the books to find any proof for better writing called?
I just want someone to at least be specific and find the book title, book author and the website links. What are they?

Also i'm sooooo stuck, i'm in a writer's slump/writer's block. I'm out of ideas!
I give up. I'll brainwash myself and write stuff by looking at an alien computer.
From, @BeingRivy.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:45 pm
looseleaf says...

Hi Rivy:

I answered your questions here and in my previous post. YWS is the best website followed by NaNoWriMo.org and it’s forums. Also, people besides myself have given you plenty of ideas and advice, so you I don’t know how you’re totally out of ideas (?).

I’m sorry for the short message, I’m on my phone right now.
looseleaf :)

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:48 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Hey there! So...it seems like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself and also expecting people to return results like a search engine. It's one thing to ask people for their experiences/opinions or discuss something you've read, but for something like "what is the best writing book", you're going to get more results immediately with Google. If you're not finding quite what you're looking for, you can always change the search terms and try again.

It sounds like at least one book you want is a grammar book, which you can probably find good results for on Google. Heck, you might already own one for school. There's also Grammarly, but I've never used it so I'm not sure if it's 100 % free or how helpful it is.

This site seems to have some of what you're looking for. I just found a link to it while looking at some old prompts I had. There's some blog entries with prompts and writing tips. They also sell books, but I haven't read said books so I don't know if they're any good.

Another book that might help you is "The Artist's Way" by Juia Cameron. I have a copy and it's actually been on my to-do list to find, as I never actually read it. The book is well known for the "morning pages" exercise (Google it and you'll find some more explanations on that).

As for honing your craft "without failure", that's not going to happen. You're going to write things that suck. Everyone who has ever written does, even your favorite authors. It's okay. It's fine, and it's normal, and even if it looks awful in the moment, it's an essential step to getting better.

I'm confused by the idea that drawing comics is fundamentally different than writing. Comics are essentially a written story plus drawings, so if you're drawing, you can pair that with writing to make the whole story. Say you have one drawing of a guy leaving the house, and then a second drawing of him coming back with a gallon of milk. Well now you have to write what happened in between--how did he get to the store, what happened at the store, how did he get back home? Maybe he flew a private jet to the store because he's super wealthy. Maybe he took a bus where he ran into an ex-girlfriend. Maybe he's actually a wizard who can summon milk so he didn't have to go to the store at all. Whatever you decide, you have a lot of possible panels to draw between point A and B, and if you get bored of drawing, you can write out some details and come back to drawing later.

Ultimately, you're going to have to confront this fear of not being perfect if you want to write. Reading about writing is great, but it's not going to be as helpful as actually writing.

Best of luck to you.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk