z

Young Writers Society

How can I make my stories funny and suspenseful?

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:36 pm
BeingRivy says...

Hi,

I want to make a good story relating to suspense, fantasy, and comedy.

How do a make a good story related to both? Because I got interested with these three genres lately, even though I like horror in my doodles sometimes, horror’s just not interesting, and I don’t smile when reading these genres. You’re supposed to smile when enjoying a genre, right? I want to make it funny. And I feel like for me liking the genres of comedy and suspense, I feel like that’s me but how can I make it funny enough so that people like it.

My mental target audience is so weak that they don’t know what funny or what’s not funny. And they follow every emotion I create in my brain. So I force them to laugh, or read my story because I have to make myself read, or something so that they will like everything I wrote. How do they strike back?!? I don’t want my real audience to see flaws, I want to be a profesional writer, I want to be perfect.

What can I do? Any advice, tips, and ideas?

And if you say, reading, I won’t accept that advice, because I can’t even read one thick book series. I hate those series like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, The maze runner, or whatever super long series everyone makes. I want YOU to be specific. And I’m lazy so I don’t put in all the hard work but I really want to try making a story now. And if you want to make a story and force it now, force yourself by staring at a screen for many minutes.

Thank you. And please send me tips and advice.

From, @BeingRivy .

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:57 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

I have one bit of advice, and it's exactly what you said: you have to read. You cannot be "perfect" as you said without ever reading. You have to see what other people are writing and you have to take inspiration from that. The best way to learn how to write well is to see how other people are writing. They don't have to be long books: there's perfectly good books that are not part of a series that you can read. House on Mango Street, A Summer to Die, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc.

About being funny: write what you find funny. No matter what, there will be someone out there who shares the same sense of humor as you and they will enjoy your book. Ignore the other people who do not like it because your sense of humor is not for them. Also, the audience in your brain is not real: it's just you. Ignore that. You have to get past your own brain bugging you before you can move on to real people.

And you can not be lazy if you want to try making a story. Set times for yourself- twenty minutes of writing on weekdays, thirty minutes on weekends. Write-ins on YWS are perfect places to do that and there's also resources on NaNoWriMo.org that you can look at.

Hope this helps,
looseleaf

The best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
— Helen Keller