z

Young Writers Society

Starting backwards?

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:13 am
Poor Imp says...

Snoink wrote:Yeah... I have a question.

I'm thinking about writing the ending first and then progressively working my way to the beginning. Not that it'll actually be formatted so that it starts at the ending... I just think the ending is more interesting than the vague beginning and want to see if I can work my way up to chapter 1, writing backwards.

Does this sound like a good idea, or am I crazy for even thinking of it? O_o

I'll assume the final question was rhetorical. :P

From the perspective, purely subjective on my part, I'd be worried things would be dull if I wrote finish and had to find my way back. But then, I never know precisley the end of what I'm writing until I get there. It would be interesting to write the end.

Would it still be interesting to write your way all the way back to the beginning?
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:18 am
Snoink says...

Most likely I'll end up starting the ending, then growing so excited that I did the ending that I'll do the beginning and then wander around like that. I don't know... it's weird like that. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:19 am
Poor Imp says...

Snoink wrote:Most likely I'll end up starting the ending, then growing so excited that I did the ending that I'll do the beginning and then wander around like that. I don't know... it's weird like that. :)

That sounds more as if it would keep attention held. ^_^ And it sounds more likely. It's true--sometimes endings make better beginnings; or at least, sometimes make good place to begin writing.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:01 am
Crysi says...

Hmm... I find that I'm always really excited to get to the ending, and that's what keeps me writing. I know that the next scene will set up a certain part for the ending, and each new scene brings new excitement. If I were to write the ending, I'd have no reason to write anything else, you know?

Here's my suggestion: plan it out, starting with the ending, but start writing at the beginning. That way, you'll get the satisfaction of working with your ending, but you'll also start at the beginning and (hopefully) you'll be able to write through the entire story.
Love and Light

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:33 am
View Likes
Dream Deep says...

I agree, Crysi. ^_~

What I don't agree with is the idea that many well-known authors back, saying write even if you don't know how it ends - if you don't know how it ends then neither will your reader.

I find that a terrible approach. How are you supposed to get a good impression of the story as whole while you're writing it when you still don't know how it ends?

So I think it's best to start with the idea of the end. Write from the beginning, and strain to reach that perfect ending. ^_^

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:47 am
Elelel says...

I think it sounds interesting! I want to give it a try at some stage now!

If you want to, try it. If it doesn't work, you gave it a go and then you can just do it normal anyway! So you don't lose anything!

Seriously, I'd love to do this! Maybe NaNo next year. But anyway, you could be creative because instead of saying "Gee what's going to happen to the characters next?" you could think "Hmmm, what happened to put the characters in their current situation, I wonder?" and then write about that situation unfolding!

It might not work. But it'd be pretty fun to find out for certain!
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:00 pm
RoxanneR says...

I did this once before, but the story was really rubbish, because I had developed characters and a plot, I kept wanting to describe the characters, but you would do that last. If you think you can pull it off, have a go. If not, don't bother.

RR*
Want a faithful critique? PM me!

Luv RR*

the only theft here is of decency when carina decided to rob me of my pride and put me on a banana
— veeren