z

Young Writers Society

Ask a Trans Guy (almost) Anything.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:37 am
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

Yo. I'm Teddy. In simple terms, I'm a trans dude. I'm about to be two weeks on testosterone and will be continuing further into transition in the near future. I'm also a writer and would love to see some more trans mc's, so, drop whatever you've wanted to ask about trans men characters.

I should note that I don't speak for all trans dudes, of course, and you are in fact encouraged to ask as many trans people as you can, as long as you have their permission first, of course.

With that out of the way, feel free to start q'ing for some a's!

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:45 pm
View Likes
xArrows says...

Hey! Arrow here.

Sorry if this question is kinda personal, but what was it like figuring out that you were a trans dude? Like, when you found out that the gender you were assigned at birth wasn't the one you identified with.

If you don't feel like answering that question (which is totally understandable), do you have a favorite canon trans male character from a show?
Sometimes I'll point at a random female character and say "gay".

"They/them? What are you, plural or something?"

YEEESSSS!!!

I AM THREE WOLVES IN A TRENCHCOAT!!!

AND YOU WILL REFER TO ME AS SUCH!!!

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:58 pm
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

Well, for me, personally (although I think for a lot of trans people), there was no single moment when I went, "yep. I'm trans."

I first started learning about the concept of being trans when I was young, but I didn't start to seriously question my gender until I was in high school. Dating was weird, friendships were weird, and something just didn't feel right. It wasn't so much of a single moment as it was being drawn back to the same feelings over and over. Tumblr was a big part of it - I learned a lot, but nothing really solidified my trans identity like going off to college and befriending other actual trans people.

So, I guess...what made me realize I was trans was the overwhelming discomfort? Of being put in social situations, with friends and family alike, where I was being asked to answer to a name and pronouns that made me want to claw my insides. The older I got, the more grating it became, and eventually I had to go searching for answers.

As far as what it was like? Scary, but also comforting. It was comforting to know that there were other people who felt the same way, who were dealing with the same feelings. It was nice to finally have a word for it, to have a way out of the misery. But with that way out of the misery came the terrifying idea of change, everything changing, and that's something I'm still scared of, if I'm honest. But the alternative? Of being so miserable I want to die, just because I want others to be comfortable instead of being who I am? That's unimaginable to me anymore.

As for your second question, I don't really watch a lot of TV, and the media I do consume sadly lacks trans representation a lot of the time, so nothing comes to mind. Oh! Besides Elliot Page in Umbrella Academy. I love Elliot Page.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:11 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Hi!

I recently decided that one of the characters (Theo) in my novel is trans, but I'm still figuring out the logistics of how being trans would affect how he interacts with the world that my novel is set in. The novel involves two characters from our world ending up in another fantasy world that people from our world frequently end up, and a good chunk of the novel involves them traveling around that world.

Theo's seventeen years old. I think he would go on testosterone as part of his transition, as well as using a binder. I did a little research and saw that Theo could theoretically get hormone therapy at seventeen if he has a parent/guardian with him, but I'm not exactly sure what it involves. Is it something that he can do on his own, or does a doctor need to give it? Also, how frequently does he need to take it?

On a similar train of thought, how frequently does a binder needed to be washed? Can he wear the same one for several days, or is it good to change it out/wash it every day like it's a shirt?

I know that the fantasy world Theo and co. ends up in is incredibly accepting of anyone queer, so I know he'd be able to get access to whatever he needs. I'm just not sure what that "whatever" actually is, so any help would be greatly appreciated it! I'm really glad you made this thread - I kept finding lists on how to write trans characters, but most of them went over things that I was already familiar with thanks to Tumblr. I really needed somewhere where I could ask more specific questions. :)
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

mashed potatoes are v a l i d
— Liminality