z

Young Writers Society

I Need Help!!!

Reviews: 4
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:59 pm
View Likes
JasmineFelicia says...

So, I read how to write reviews on the different threads those instructions are posted on, and then I began reading people's works, and I came upon a problem. I enjoyed the works, and I couldn't find anything to say other than "good job!". I really enjoy reading, and I can't find anything to recommend or any suggestions to give.
I know that I am missing something, so I need tips on how to write a review.
Hi, the name is Jasmine, but you can call me Jaz! Nice to meet you :D !

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:02 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Hey Jaz! Reviewing is definitely tricky and it gets easier with practice, but here are some helpful links on methods/approaches to reviewing:
Review Templates
The YWS Reviewing Dictionary
Reviewing Tips
The YWS Critique Sandwich
I hope those help!
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:55 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

When I enjoy a work and can't think of any suggestions I start listing all the reasons why I liked it. I mention any favourite lines, how it made me feel, what it reminded me of, that kind of stuff.

In any art form we don't just benefit from being told what we need to improve, we also benefit from being told where something as worked well or where our strengths are. Some people prefer a harsh review, but in general most people are delighted to hear that their work was appreciated.

Even if you're simply telling the author how you interpreted their work, which parts stood out to you and which parts you glanced over, that can be really useful because it tells them how their work is being received by an audience.

It's also the reason new reviewers are so valuable, because you're not used to reading as critique so you add a different perspective than someone who has been reviewing for a long time.
We were born to be amazing.

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:03 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Sometimes criticism can be hard, you'll get the hang of it! If you're not comfortable with criticism yet, giving specific praise, asking questions, or giving overall interpretations can also help the author.

praise

For instance "Your dialogue here was exciting"
"This character when they did x, y, z was so funny/relateable/interesting"

Or in poetry you can give praise on formatting, meaning/theme, word choice, emotion, figurative language, or metaphors. The key is saying exactly what you liked about a piece and why.

For instance, "good job" is too vague to help the author much.
"Good words" is a bit more helpful, but doesn't teach them going forward.
"Good word choice in line 5, because it painted a pictire in a unique way" is great feedback because it identifies what's good, and how to repeat that skill.

questions
Asking questions for clarity can be useful if you aren't sure why an author did something. Sometimes I do this if I notice something is off but not quite sure what or why.

For instance, "I'm confused why character x, did this" or "why did you only capitalize half the months?"

overall impressions/interpretations
Intetpreting a poem can be really useful, even if you're totally off or the meaning seems obvious it tells the author how you perceive it and where clarity is needed. It can be very gratifying as an author to hear that someone connected or understood your poem's intended meaning.

Overall impressions are also fine in prose and poetry - like commenting on pacing, mood, emotion, interest-level, or your feelings as a reader.

There's lots of ways to review if you're not quite comfortable giving criticism yet, so I hope this gives you ideas.

Also YWS is a very welcoming place where we are all learning and want to help each other improve, if you "mess up" or need some time to figure out how exactly to review that's absolutely okay. There is no one correct way to give feedback and often author's are very pleased that you took the time to offer feedback at all.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

Reviews: 4
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:27 pm
View Likes
JasmineFelicia says...

Thank you guys so much! Now I'll get to reviewing :) !
Hi, the name is Jasmine, but you can call me Jaz! Nice to meet you :D !

See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask for no guarantees, ask for no security.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451