z

Young Writers Society

Transition Help

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:04 am
PrincessInk says...

I'm editing my WIP right now and one of the things I have GREAT trouble with is...well, transitions such as traveling, covering large amounts of time with little plot progress (like "she adjusted to palace life over the next few months") :(

I'm struggling to figure out how to streamline (I've noticed they bog the pace of my story and make it dull) and also how to make it more compelling. I know that I should make every scene count, but I'd also love to hear some tips from you on how you handle transitions!

Thanks in advance! :D
always daydreaming, always clumsy

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:18 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

There are so many ways to do this, it depends on what kind of effect you're going for. Some people do a series of mini scenes that lends to character development, which work well with short chapters or biographical-style scenes. I've seen some people do a few longer key scenes over a span of time but personally that's not my favourite method.

What I really like is the literary version of a montage. Some kind of description of how things changed over that time in a very visual way, but not too drawn out. I guess in the palace example that would be like describing how the looming stone walls became familiar, or how it only took a few weeks for her to get used to her feet bleeding from walking round in formal shoes, kind of thing. If you weave it right and make it personal to the character you can get some pretty cool effects in a small space.

I love anything to do with the passage of time in novels, especially a tactful time skip, so give me a nudge if you end up posting it up on YWS. I'd love to see how you manage it =]

*Edit*
Also, on the whole 'making every scene count', you can be fairly lax with that. Every scene should count, but if something doesn't add to the overall plot that's still fine. If all you have is a slow-down chapter with some intimate character development then that has its value too. It's nice sometimes to have those moments that exist outside of the grand design.
We were born to be amazing.

You can not put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator.
— alliyah