z

Young Writers Society

How to overcome writer's block?

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:55 pm
View Likes
authorvibezz says...

So, I know what style I want to write and who my characters are as people. I know the end goal and the start but I struggle from getting through the middle. I've definitely lost a lot of motivation to write and need some advice or inspiration to get my out of this blockage!!

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:24 am
View Likes
LanaOverland says...

It depends on how you're attacking your project I guess.

For me I tend to force myself to work in sequential order which I've noticed recently doesn't always work the best. Like for the project I'm working on now I've rewritten the first few sections like...*checks scrivener trash bin*...five times. The problem being that I wanted the start to always be perfect to properly set up really cool and meaningful scenes I had in my head, (which isn't ever going to happen) so for this bout of writing block I just decided to write those scenes and write the scene ideas as they come to me and see if they work later. Basically for me I have too many ideas and I get too worried about connecting them when I should just be brainstorming potential scenes to connect later.

If your problem is not being able to start on a blank page it might be helpful to work on reference material for yourself for a bit and then go back to the page. Like if you have a clear idea of a character's childhood write about that (even if it's just bullet points). Or you could make a list of what you hope to accomplish in the scene if you could write it. Like: "I want character A to meet character B. I want this action to come off as flirty." If this sparks some ideas try expanding on them, like for that later example write how it's flirty or get really into the details of how they're moving their lips to get it to come across that way. Hopefully this then creates a domino effect and you're writing. The important thing to remember is that you don't always have to start at the beginning--of the novel or the scene.

But then again if you're dead set on writing sequentially... I don't know.

For short term fixes I watch a lot of writing youtube channels or dissections of film writing. I think my first nanowrimo I watched one nanowrimo vlog a day before I started writing. Or I read bit from a book on writing technique, and that usually gets the gears turning. Basically if it's been a couple of days since I've written and I need to kick myself in the ass I switch all my media to writing centric options to get me at least thinking about writing. The idea being that if all my media is saying "writing is great and think about your project" I'm more likely to write. I've also found that reviewing things here can have a similar effect, with the added benefits that you get points to post and you're exercising your writing muscles by thinking about technique and how you would write something.

Long term it's best to find a time you can write consistently and a space that you only write in (for me this summer it's been my local library with my laptop from noon to three) and write everyday. Also mark down when you do in a calendar (for me I have two codes one for "made an honest attempt to write" and one for "met my word count or hour goal") so that you remind yourself that it needs to be done and you can see a streak forming and you aren't tempted to break it. The idea is that you create a habit of writing so that it comes more naturally. I would also stress that you pick a place that you don't do anything like watch movies, sleep, or play games in so that you're not tempted to do that instead of writing. Oh! And like...if you find yourself wavering halfway through your writing session, don't stop. Get up, stretch if you need to. Get some water, go to the bathroom, but don't open your browser. It's usually just that you're getting disinterested and want to stop because its easier not to write. It's like friction, it's harder to restart than to keep going.

Hope this helps a bit. Writers block is a b*tch. Just remember that it's always a chore when you start a writing session, but it gets easier when you get into it.
-Lana
Pronouns: she/hers

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:15 am
Tenyo says...

I would say take some time away from the keyboard, turn off any distractions and take some time to figure out exactly what it is that's stopping you from writing. Then you can address that and move on. Human beings are by nature storytellers so if it's hard then there's probably something there stopping you.

External stresses like grades and family expectations make it really hard to sit down and be creative. Personal expectations of quality or coherency make it difficult too.

If you can turn off all distractions and lie down and daydream for an hour, then that is all you really need to get your story started. If you find that other things start nagging at you or you start feeling pressured or frustrated there's probably something else on your mind that's holding you back.

Also, @LanaOverland 's advice on finding a consistent time and place on writing is invaluable and I can't stress that enough.
We were born to be amazing.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:10 pm
BluesClues says...

Okay, so I definitely feel this - I always know the start of my story really well, and I generally have at least a vague idea of the ending, but getting through the Dreaded Expanse of the Middle is a challenge.

Some things that have helped me get through the middle of my novel in the past:

- accountability partners/friends who can either check in on me, are working on their projects alongside me, or are reading my project and keep me going even when I really don't want to (additionally, readers can make predictions about what's going to happen next, and then you can use those predictions as ideas for where to take the story next if you're stuck not that I've ever done that of course)
- writing events like NaNoWriMo or LMS - deadlines, challenges, and knowing other people are working toward the same goal as I am all really help keep me motivated
- brainstorming/planning, which I don't do nearly enough of before drafting but eventually really need to do when I get super stuck in the middle of my draft

A note on brainstorming, in case you, like me, are the kind of person who just Cannot with outlines and worksheets and strict brainstorming/mindmapping things like that: my most effective brainstorming is either talking aloud to myself on walks/in the car or writing what are basically just long journal entries or notes to myself. I find my thoughts evolving as I write about a plot hole or other issue, and eventually I'll have an idea that's at least good enough to keep me moving forward, and if it's a crappy idea, I can worry about that in revision.

And that's my final piece of advice: push forward through the pain and don't worry about the writing or the ideas being crappy. Unless that absolutely doesn't work for you. I have friends who must edit while drafting, because they can't move forward with the story if they know there's a major issue with an earlier part of the story. But if I do that, I'll just keep editing, and I'll never finish a draft at all. So I just let myself write utter crap and repeat to myself "it's a first draft it's a first draft it's a first draft" and use friends/events/brainstorming to get me through.

I *do* like flipping tables.
— Faye Whitaker, Questionable Content