z

Young Writers Society

Couch-to-80K: A Podcast Writing Course

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:55 pm
View Likes
Cadi says...

Hey folks! I recently happened upon a little thing called the Couch-to-80K Writing Bootcamp and, inspired by niteowl's sharing her experience with Morning Pages (Morning Pages-A Writing Experiment), I figured I'd tell you guys about it, in case it appeals to some of you!

[Before I dive in, a quick content warning: the podcast does include some strong language.]

What is Couch-to-80K?
Couch-to-80K is a FREE online writing course by Tim Clare, who presents a regular writing podcast called Death of 1000 Cuts. (Disclaimer: I haven't listened to any actual Death of 1000 Cuts.) It takes you from the barest minimum all the way through to writing scenes for an actual novel.

This is what the Couch-to-80K page says about who it's aimed at:
Would you like to write a novel? Do you have ideas for stories but low motivation or self-confidence? Have you been writing for years but lately you’ve been feeling burnt out, and the fun has gone? Would you like to write more but you can’t find the time or energy? Would you like to do a writing course but you don’t have the money?

The course is entirely in podcast form. It is 8 weeks long, with 6 episodes each week (allowing for one day off a week), although you don't have to actually spend 8 consecutive weeks on the course - it's fine to have more days off, or leave gaps, or skip the days off. Each episode is around 20-30 minutes long, and includes a 10 minute section where Tim shuts up and you... WRITE! This means you can't wriggle out of doing the exercises - the time for writing is built right into every episode!

My Experience
Eight weeks ago, I was pretty squarely in one of Couch-to-80K's target demographics: I've been writing since I was, like, seven, but in the last couple of years, I've been feeling really down about my writing, and that's been getting in the way of my actually doing any. I'd just finished writing a second draft of a novel, which I felt was actually worse than the first draft, and I had zero ideas for what to work on next, so I was about as down in the dumps about writing as could be!

A guy in a writing group I go to had mentioned Couch-to-80K, so I looked it up. And I thought, Well Why Not?

The result? The last eight weeks or so have been some of the best I've felt about writing in literally years.

The host, Tim Clare, is wonderfully friendly and chatty, and comes out with some off-the-wall ideas and comments that make me laugh, which helped me feel at ease listening to the podcast. The fact it was a podcast, with someone talking to me, meant I was much more likely to keep it up than if it had just been blog posts - I actually got up a little early every day to fit it in! The exercises are short and sweet, which makes them feel really manageable, and Tim's attitude is a caring, accepting one: he doesn't want you to guilt yourself into writing, and that feels good.

Overall, I absolutely loved this course. I've been recommending it to all my offline writing friends since Week 1, and now I'm recommending it to you, too!

Week-By-Week Breakdown
The Couch-to-80K page doesn't go into a lot of detail about what to expect each week. I thought that was great - I just dived in with no expectations, and had a great time! But, if you'd like to know a little more before you start, I've written up a brief summary of what each week covers. Under a spoiler so you don't have to read it if you'd like the surprise!

Spoiler! :

WEEK 1
Week 1 is all about little exercises that might not feel like "real writing" - listing out lots of names, or lots of objects, or lots of character traits, and so on. It's like warm-ups, getting you into the habit of doing this every day, and sowing little seeds which might bloom into bigger ideas later on.

WEEK 2
Week 2 introduces the technique of freewriting - that is, just writing without stopping for ten minutes, no matter what rubbish comes out of your pen. Tim takes you on little "excursions", so you can freewrite with the sounds of different settings, and talks about how you can just go out to a place by yourself and freewrite there. Later in the week, you'll be freewriting with a bit of direction, a bit more of a topic or a goal.

WEEK 3
Week 3 is what Tim calls "maskwork" - writing from other people's point of view. The freewriting ethos from Week 2 holds here: you'll be turning off that inner editor and splurging out whatever comes to mind, but while trying to think like someone else. Obviously, this is a pretty useful skill for writing interesting characters!

WEEK 4
Week 4 covers stylistic decisions - you'll write and rewrite a single scene in various different ways, and notice how the choices you make about sentence structure and which words to use make a difference to the feel of the scene, even when the events are exactly the same.

WEEK 5
Week 5 is a heavy one. The theme of the week is emotions and self-awareness, and Tim asks you to do some writing about your own emotional or traumatic experiences, which can be pretty tough. Luckily, he knows that this is a tough ask, and also offers alternative exercises for the week: you can instead choose to write about pleasant emotions, which can be a challenge in its own way.

WEEK 6
The theme for Week 6 is similes, metaphors, and other tricks you can use to guide your reader's attention. (After the emotional hard work of Week 5, this is a nice change of pace!) You get to play with metaphors both sensible and silly, and come up with new ways of talking about clichéd things.

WEEK 7
Week 7 is where you realise you're reaching the end (and, if you're like me, get sad about it). This week covers a handful of exercises for leading you up to the idea of writing An Actual Novel, and what you might like your novel to be about. Don't worry - the exercises are intended to work regardless of whether you have an existing novel all planned out, or have never even considered that you might write a novel until this point!

WEEK 8
And finally, Week 8! This is an intense writing week. Tim steps back, and pares down his chatter in favour of giving you extra time for writing, and asks you to write bits and pieces of the novel you thought about in Week 7.

DEBRIEF
Then, there is a debrief episode. I haven't listened to this yet... but it's supposed to cover the big question of: What Now? How do you keep up the good habits and skills you've honed over the last eight weeks?
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

Reviews: 0
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:58 pm
View Likes
TeaParty says...

I'll keep this in mind, thanks

Stay Imaginative, Stay Inspired
Stay Imaginative, Stay Inspired

It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
— Mark Twain