Batun11 says...

How do I expand on a sentence?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:38 pm
niteowl says...

Hi there and welcome to YWS!

I'm not really sure what you mean, but I'm guessing that you have a brief idea for something and want to expand upon it.

First question-what do you want the end product to be-a short story? A poem? An essay? An entire novel? Where you want to go is going to influence what your next steps are. For example, a good essay would require research, while a poem on the same topic would focus more on interesting images and metaphors.

Maybe you can freewrite on the topic a bit. Start with the sentence you have, set a timer for 15 minutes and just go. See what comes up and you might figure out where you want to go.

If you're willing to share more details, I might be able to offer more specific advice.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

Daddy Long Legs are more closely related to crabs than spiders and somehow the idea of crablike creatures with spider legs that have escaped the entrappings of the primordial sea and now crawl over land and can walk up and down walls and ceilings creeps me more than I can adequately describe.
— Snoink