z

Young Writers Society

Don't be afraid to enthuse about your project!

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:58 am
View Likes
Evander says...

We've all been there -- we get knee-deep into a project and then suddenly find ourselves wondering why we even wanted to write it in the first place. Everything you're writing looks horrible on the page and you lose faith in it.

So, what about that initial spark? Why did you want to write about this project in the first place?

I read a book lately -- Write Your Novel in a Month by Jeff Gerke -- that recommended a useful piece of advice that I wanted to pass on.

When you get started on a project, don't be afraid to gush about it. Open up a document and just outline everything that you love about it. Do you love your characters? The plot? The message behind it? Do you have a scene in mind that you're eager to write? Go on for as long as you can -- this doesn't have to be entirely coherent, you just have to be able to read it later.

Then, when you're feeling down about the project, remember to pull up that document! Remember why you wanted to start writing it in the first place! Maybe, in writing, you've strayed from your core idea or maybe you've just become disillusioned (and that's okay!), but remember why you started writing it in the first place. There was a driving force behind it.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:04 pm
View Likes
Cadi says...

This is a great idea! I need to start doing this when I start new projects, because that slump in the middle where I fall out of love with a project is a Real Issue that totally gets in the way of finishing things. Thanks, Evander!
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 am
Mea says...

I also love this idea! *Puts it down on list of Things to Do*

I know what I have done before is just dump a paragraph or two about the overall themes in the book and the really important and exciting character moments in my head and how they happened. This works both as plotting and to remind me of the state of mind my main character is in, but I could definitely get myself even more excited if I did this. :D
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

I drink tea and forget the world's noises.
— Chinese saying