Young Writers Society

On writing well

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:51 pm
View Likes
EverLight says...

Some quick advice . . .
1. Focus on the villains-they are important to the stories plot.
2. Create good characters-Characters are everything!
3. Carefully plan the plot-A well plotted story is better then a action backed poor plotted one!
4. Skip the slow stuff-Jump into the action unless you want to bring suspence.
5. Describe how the characters feel-It adds to them!
I'm winning at life!

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 pm
Tenyo says...

Do you have any particular method to creating good characters?
We were born to be amazing.

212 Reviews

Thu May 17, 2018 5:08 pm
View Likes
EverLight says...

Tenyo wrote:Do you have any particular method to creating good characters?

Yes I do. (Note I'm writing this as though I'm giving advice) I'd try adding some human aspects to them. Think of something that we all can relate to for example wanting to be good, and apply that to your character. Oh and another thing-keep your character real. That means don't have him saying or doing anything that a person in real life wouldn't do. Also have good character development make sure you have a lot of background details. I also love writing a list of questions about that character filling them in and working with my character that way.
Best Wishes
Katness
I'm winning at life!

212 Reviews

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:25 pm
EverLight says...

Me? I think of my self as a fantasy writer, because most of my stories have talking cats or aliens.
I'm winning at life!

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:12 pm
Horisun says...

I've been having trouble with making a dull important chapter intresting. And it doesn't help that its my longest chapter. Any advice?
She/Her

212 Reviews

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:49 am
EverLight says...

Sorry it took me this many weeks to respond. I didn't realize you commented on this.
I do have advice.
Ask yourself what is the main purpose of this chapter? Is it to move the novel along? Or to develop your character? Then take out anything in the chapter that doesn't add to that purpose. It might also help to look for parts in the chapter that don't add to the story or seem overly long. (Like a conversation that lasts half a page) Or you can add some action into the chapter. Something unexpected. Or introduce a new character. Or (This is what I do) if there already is action boil the chapter down to just that particular part. Or examine the story closely and ask yourself what exactly in this chapter is boring? Is there any sentence or paragraph that doesn't add to it? Try to focus on the important part of the chapter and take out what doesn't add to it. Examine your word choice. Do sentences seem wordy? To they have more then three adjectives? Are there unimportant details you mention in the chapter that you spend along time on? Try cutting out those parts. Are your descriptions concise and paint a picture in your mind of what is going on?
I hope this at least gives you some direction to go in. If you need help writing feel free to PM me.
Best wishes
Katness
I'm winning at life!

I like anchovies~ but nobody calls me that.
— alliyah