Some of her works include:

Bella at Midnight
The Chosen Prince
Joplin Wishing
The Silver Bowl
The Cup and the Crown
The Princess of Cortova

About:

Stanley is the author and/or illustrator of fifty books for children.
Many of her books have been honored as American Library Association Notable Books and she has twice received both the Boston Globe/Hornbook Award and the Society of Children's Book Writers' Golden Kite Award.
She was the recipient of the Washington Post/Children's Book Guild Award for the body of her work.
She has three grown children and lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico with her husband, Peter Vennema.

Some of her illustrations:

From Little Orphant Annie by James Whitcomb Riley.

From Birdsong Lullaby.

From The True Adventure of Daniel Hall

Q & A

Q. When did you first want to be a writer?

A. I always loved to write and especially loved creative assignments in school. I kept a notebook and wrote poems, stories, and opinion pieces in it. They were just for myself, not an assignment. But I didn’t think of writing as a potential career until I became a children’s book illustrator and began writing my own stories. Now I’m writing long fiction and think of myself primarily as an author.

Q. Do you base your characters on real life people?

A. Not consciously, but it’s impossible for an author not to bring personal experience into her writing. Often it’s not till a book is finished that I look at it and see how autobiographical it is, including people who were important or absent from my life.

Q. What is your writing weakness?

A. Plot. Like many writers, I think I know what the story will be but find it evolves as I write. I have tried making outlines, but they lack depth and are always abandoned. I guess that approach works for mystery and thriller writers, but not for character-driven books. I just explore as I go and some of the best scenes come to me at the end of the process when I really know my characters and themes.

Q. How do you deal with writers block?

A. I just keep thinking, often at night or early in the morning when I’m lying in bed awake. You can’t force ideas. If you try, they never work out.

Q. Lastly, do you have any advice for others who have just started writing?

A. Read. Read good quality books that have won awards. Avoid series that are churned out to sell more books. Read fiction and nonfiction, funny books and serious books, foreign books, old books. You can’t become a writer if you don’t know what good writing sounds like.

If you want to learn more about Diane and see more of her illustrations, check out her website.

Diane Stanley's Website

*whispers* I will be posting Ask The Authors every few weeks or so. Just so ya'll know
Just killing time until time kills me.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon May 14, 2018 10:43 pm
View Likes
SnowGhost says...

Author: Jessica Day George

Born: October 11 1976 (age 41)

Some of her works include:

Dragon Slippers
This is the first book out of the Dragon Slippers trilogy.

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
This is a teen novel slightly based on the story of Beauty and the Beast.

Princess of the Midnight Ball
This is the first book out of the Princesses of Westfalin trilogy.

Tuesdays at the Castle
This is the first book out of the Castle Glower series.

Silver in the Blood
This is a teen novel which involves shape-shifters.

The Rose Legacy
This is her new book that was just released on May 1 2018.

About:
Jessica Day George is an American author and a MAJOR book lover, who writes books for children as well as teenagers/young adults.

Jessica earned a BA in Humanities/Comparative Literature from Brigham Young University, where she enjoyed classes in Pottery and Old Norse, and didn't enjoy classes in Algebra and Biology.

Q&A

Q. When did you first want to be a writer?

A. Fifth grade. I read The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley and found out that writing books like that was her full time job!

Q. What are your writing weaknesses and strengths?

A. I think my strength is in coming up with plenty of good ideas for books, and in my characters. My weakness is that I tend to go off on tangents in the middle that will just need to be edited out later. 

Q. Do you ever base your characters on real people?

A. Occasionally, but it’s more like, bits and pieces, or conversations. Although Pippin in Dragon Slippers was based on my real dog. 

Q. What is your favourite childhood book?

A. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Q. What is your writing process like?

A. Write, surf the internet, eat chocolate, write a bit more, repeat.

Q. How do you deal with writers block?

A. Writer’s block is generally caused by one of two things: The story isn’t working, or something’s wrong with you. Take a minute to diagnose, figure out if you’re sick or depressed or something’s wrong. Take care of yourself.  If it’s not you, put the story aside for a while.

Q. How do you come up with the ideas for your books?

A. They just happen. It could be anything: Going to bed late. Going to bed early. Seeing a crappy movie. Seeing a good movie. Walking down the street.

Q. How did you break into publishing?

A. This is a super, super long story. Short version: I wrote several books. I got rejected. I wrote Dragon Slippers. I went to a writers’ conference, met a woman who knew an editor at Bloomsbury who would like a book like Dragon Slippers, went to the conference this editor would be at, pitched the book to her in a pitch session. 

Q. What advice do you have for others who have just begun writing

A. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming! What do we doooo? WE SWIM!

If you want to learn more about Jessica, check out her website.

Oh and if any of you have any suggestions for questions I should ask authors in the future, just let me know.
Just killing time until time kills me.

"I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy..."
— Unnamed Girl from "Mean Girls"