z

Young Writers Society

Anybody know how to write 'simple'?

Reviews: 0
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:41 pm
deecreative says...

I'm baaaaaack! lol.
Hey, you amazing writers! Haven't been posting on here. Good to be back. I came on here to ask a question and hope I get an answer. Does anyone on here know how to write simple or show me an example of simple writing? By simple, I mean as in writing to understand without the use of big words and long sentences.

I have done research on it the day before yesterday and quite understand it. And I thought that would be a good try for me since I am no good with my vocabulary lol. Like I can use words that I know and topics that I know to explain to readers.

Anybody?

Thank you,
Deanna.

Sorry if this look pretty messed up lol. :P

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:40 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

The answer to writing simply and clearly, is basically what you wrote in your post! Keep you message clear and to the point, and use direct language - AKA not random big words that only sorta makes sense.

You can do the same in stories!
100% autistic

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:57 pm
Lightsong says...

Hey! I'm sorry I post this so late, but I hope it comes off as helpful!

Anyway, I think when it comes to writing it's important to make sure everything you write contribute to something - plot, character development, etc. If you want to explain something, try to explain it in the shortest you could, or if you think doing that on the spot is quite troublesome, do it in your own way and then look back to check which words can be cut out and if a longer phrase can be substituted with a shorter one.

Avoiding using adjectives most of the times can also help. A reader would need some time to process the scene you've written if it's like this

A small, white bunny hops hopelessly under the scorching, brilliant sun, thinking sadly and repeatedly how its wooden, lonely home is destroyed by the angry, spreading fire.

compared to this

A bunny hops under the wrathful sun, contemplating how its home is destroyed by a fire.

See? It's easier and faster to follow the story like this.

Another thing to take note is that long sentences don't necessarily mean the message is more complex; instead, it could mean there is more to the scene that can be more effectively portrayed using longer sentences. Of course, you can't use them all the time, just when you think the situation calls for it. Ideas sometimes come in abundance and we need long sentences to convey them. Using long and short sentences give variety and flow to your writing, and both type of sentences are equally important.

And that is all! Hope this helps! :D
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:35 am
Megrim says...

Try reading YA books (young adult). They have the same complexity of plot and characterization, but usually a more streamlined, faster-paced writing style.

Also, Brandon Sanderson has a ton of lectures and podcasts on this topic. Try searching his lectures on youtube!

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:12 am
Kazumi says...

Try the Three-Day Blow by Ernest Hemingway. It's the epitome of simple writing for me. In fact, it's so simple it's hard to read at times.

I don't think it's very complicated to write simple. Just cut the BS. Ask yourself what you want to achieve with this sentence. Maybe you just want to describe a place nicely, or emphasize a certain object that will be super important in the plot, or simply say something to the reader. Then write the least you can write to achieve it, and boom. You done.

These days, writers just really want to make everything very virtuosically verbose to impress their audience or smth. That's a sickness of writers these days. In their efforts, they forget how to go back to the basics.
top kek

In the winter months, snowstorms and rainfall in the Patagonian Ice Fields can drastically affect the landscape. Worsened by heavy winds, such storms can reduce visibility and lead to glacial calving, ice collapses, and avalanches. During these conditions, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian