z

Young Writers Society

Bum-Bum-Duuuh

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:44 pm
Emerson says...

As none of you know, I sent a story into Writer's Digest 75th Annual Writing Competition. And, though I haven't received the actual results yet, I did receive my Nov/Dec '06 issue which lists the top ten winners in each category.

I have a fight with my friend over it, she's dead sure I'll win but I know I'm not the best and still have a lot to improve in.

I wasn't on the list nor was I the grand prize. But, if its any hope, I may have won 100th or higher. I'm not down, oh of course not! I've got Nano to look forward to! (I'm shaking. I'm scared. As it gets closer, 50,000 looks like a bigger number than I thought)

I thought I would share my not-excitement-but-not-disappointment. At least I won the bet with my friend!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:48 pm
Cassandra says...

That's cool that you entered, even if you didn't win.

I also just got that issue. I just started getting Writer's Digest this year, but I don't think I'll subscribe next year. Why? Because the magazine seems so...negative. And condescending. Am I the only one who feels that way? They say, "Oh, the publishing business is simply AWFUL." But on the next page they're telling you how to get motivated to write a novel. It makes no sense!

So...yeah. But I'm being a bit of a wet blanket here. Point is, I don't really want to read about how hard it is to be published when I'm just trying to write a first draft. It's depressing, you know? I know it's not a good thing to be an escapist and pretend like there's nothing wrong, but you need some sort of motivation as you're writing!

But enough about me. What was the story about that you sent in, Claudette?
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:18 pm
Emerson says...

It was a vampire story. A damn good one too. but I think I just worked too hard on it, if I rewrote/edit it now it would turn out much lovelier.

I like WD. I think its nice. I don't always read the columns about being published, or editors, or agents. But I like the other stuff it has. I'm in love with Kevin Alexander! I was trying to hunt down his email address but I can't find it. He's so cool!

I also like the writing prompts. (Even though I never do them. I just think about doing them) This moths is very good. (page 22 at the bottom, if you haven't found it yet)

To be honest, I've been fighting with WD for the past few months. They've been really bad about sending me my magazines, I think i got like 5 months free in return. I've missed getting like 2 magazines and they sent me back 1. I was really mad.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

I continue to be a reverse hipster, I only do things after they've ceased being cool
— BluesClues