z

Young Writers Society

Tips on motivation?

Reviews: 0
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:05 pm
Beccaa says...

I've recently decided to get back into writing after about a year off and I was wondering what everyone does to motivate them to write as, evidently, I need help with procrastination haha :)

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:18 pm
View Likes
Poopsie says...

the rpg players will agree with me here.

The grind is real
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:54 pm
View Likes
PastelSlushie says...

What I like to do is listen to music that is in the same genre. Maybe music in Rock, Heavy Metal, so on and so forth. Songs that are similar to each other in beat but not in words really motivate me to write a story based off them. You could call it a fanfiction for a song.

But, motivation varies from person to person, so this might not be helpful.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:50 pm
View Likes
birk says...

This is not for everyone, but I find motivation in the fact that I will, without a doubt,

PROVE EVERYONE WRONG!

I will literally show the world I'm a literal force to be reckoned with. That's just me tho.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:41 pm
View Likes
Beccaa says...

To be fair, yeah I'd like to prove to everyone I can actually write a novel because I always give up on them.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:50 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Set small goals! When I'm struggling to find the motivation to sit down and write, I set a timer for 15 or 20 minutes. All I can do during that time is write. If I end up writing 5 words or 500 words, it doesn't matter as long as I'm making my best effort to get something on the page. It doesn't have to be perfect, that's what revision is for. I find that if I can just get started, then I feel more motivated to keep going :)

You could also try the 100 words daily club where you strive to, you guessed it, write 100 words every day.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:06 pm
Beccaa says...

That's a good suggestion thank you

Random avatar

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:33 am
Jittu says...

When i do a work with full concentration and get not results so i changed my strategy and work other strategy to do quality work. I always remember my little mistakes and do a effective with quick work.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:23 pm
Rosendorn says...

Fall in love with the process and get yourself a cheerleader.

There is nothing quite as motivating as having one reader who loves everything you write and wants to read more of it. In order to give them more, you have to write more. Finding a partner, starting a thread here and discussing your project to get interested people, or offering a trade with a novel you really like can be a great way to build up accountability with some reward in there.

As for falling in love with the process.

Writing is pure process. It's watching the word count fluctuate as you write new stuff and delete old stuff that you have to rewrite. It's getting characters in trouble then getting them out of trouble. It's going over your manuscript heartlessly because you need a new draft. It's sitting and looking at a finished thing and going "I made something out of nothing."

If you don't fall in love with the satisfaction of the wordcount increasing, the smile after a well-written paragraph (who cares if you cut it later— you wrote it and enjoyed it), the time alone with yourself— then it's much harder to motivate yourself. You need to find those little rewards internally to keep you going, because that process is your writing world.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:41 pm
CarryOnMrCaulfield says...

Remember, as it relates to world-building, the author does not actually do any of it. Rather, the world builds itself. Over time, your ideas, referring to those on a narrative perspective, will come to you on their own like a knife in the dark. At least that is the case with me. For instance, the endless rabbit hole of a fantasy world that has existed since before 2013 and continues to expand each and every day revealed its own lore to me. I just wrote it down. If you are writing fantasy, for instance, draw a map, and then draw locations, and then ask yourself questions about how you feel that the location is relevant. Eventually, you will have basic lore, making it easier to delve deeper. Once you have a basic grasp on the nature of your world, the writing process can begin. As you continue to write, and even when you are not, the world will continue to build itself.

Although my example pertains primarily to speculative fiction and literature, the notion may still be applied to stories of other genres. As a matter of fact, it can be a lot easier, especially if on a smaller scale. Even so, the characters and locations will reveal themselves to you. Don't think too hard. Additional ideas will spring into your head as you continue to write.

mashed potatoes are v a l i d
— Liminality