z

Young Writers Society

Any Exceptional Books About Writing?

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:06 am
View Likes
Shafter says...

"Stein on Writing" and "How to Grow a Novel" by Sol Stein. I can't recommend these highly enough!! Inspirational, helpful, great reads. I keep both on my desk and turn them to random pages when I'm stuck.

Also, "Self-Editing for Fiction Writers" by... oh gosh, I can't remember. Brown and King, I think? It offers a lot of practical advice and lots of checklists for your writing.
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:29 am
View Likes
Dream Deep says...

Monica Wood's The Pocket Muse is one of the simplest, most enjoyable, most purely inspiring writing books I've read in ages. I encourage you to spend the twelve dollars. ^_~ (Yes, it's highway robbery, but it's worth it.)

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:59 pm
View Likes
Ani May Queen says...

Hands down, no questions asked the best book on writing is:

78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why It Just Might by Pat Walsh

Or actually, I think it might be more on publishing. But still, very helpful.
Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality. - Jules de Gaultier

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:13 pm
View Likes
Goldenheart says...

I've rifled through so many writing books, I can barely recall what they said. Some that stood out, though, were
'The Writer's Guide to Fantasy Literature, from Dragon's Lair to Hero's Quest.'
That one was amazing.
Gail Carson Levine's 'Writing Magic' was good too. Anyone ever read 'Spunk and Bite'? It's a commentary of sorts on Strunk and White's 'Elements of Style'. Wonderful. It's on my desk right now.
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:20 pm
View Likes
onceuponatim3xo says...

I think its called The 3 A.M. Epiphany its really good though. It's a book full of writing excercises and it really really really good! It teaches you how to make your writing better. I've only done a few writing excercises so far - but it has definitely helped!
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:42 am
View Likes
PerforatedxHearts says...

Story Structure Architect was really helpful, but it went too much in the technicalities of plot. Character-driven plots are more realistic, but of course that depends on the genre you want to go into and how "commercial" you want your book to be.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:47 am
View Likes
Golney says...

How to Write Science-Fiction and Fantasy by Orson Scott Card, Story by Robert McKee (Story is actually a book targeted from screenwriting, but it's applicable to writing novels, as well), Characters and Viewpoints by Orson Scott Card, and that's all that really comes to my mind, at the moment.

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:23 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

"Chapter after chapter" by Heather Sellers is great for longer projects. I love it.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:39 pm
View Likes
VidaFacil says...

Well, I read a book called: Writing well. It teaches you more about grammar and school stuff, but it is cool!

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:57 pm
View Likes
GryphonFledgling says...

"Stein on Writing" - by Sol Stein

"Revision" - by Kit Reed

I'm not much of one for buying books - more of a library girl myself - but these are two books that I would hugely recommend purchasing if you are a writer.

Kitkat already has "Writing Magic" - I think that can be used for any age group. I wrote myself a pretty damn good short story (at least I like to think so) based on one of her prompts.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:17 am
View Likes
Kraemer says...

Sin and Syntax I forget who its by....
It's a book on how to write good prose. I honestly find that the most lacking thing on this website. It's cool because it doesn't teach you the rules persay, you should know those after going through high school. It teaches you when to bend the rules, or even rip them into shreds and burn them as a sacrifice to your book. It's Excellent.

Another I liked was Sometimes the Magic Worksby Terry Brooks. Very good book from a published author.
ALRIGHT, I was talking about my virginity!!!!

(lolz dinosaur comics)
if you don't understand...
http://www.qwantz.com/archive/000135.html

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Tue May 06, 2008 2:19 am
Conrad Rice says...

I have to agree with the other people who've said On Writing by Stephen King.

Not only does he discuss the finer points of writing, such as grammar, usage, storytelling, editing, and the like, but he does it in a conversational, down to earth tone that is very easy to understand.

Plus, half of the book is also a memoir. It's interesting to see just how such a well published author got to that point. Of course, that's just a personal interest of mine.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Thu May 08, 2008 2:15 am
View Likes
Ross says...

The Everything Book On Writing A Novel. My parents got it for me for Christmas and it has literally--no pun intended--everything!
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Thu May 08, 2008 10:38 am
View Likes
Gahks says...

Teach Yourself Creative Writing, Dianne Doubtfire. Full of wondeful insight.

My personal favourite however is The Five-Minute Writer by Margret Geraghty. I love it; it's refreshing and packed with unique and interesting exercises. You pick one to do for five minutes a day. There are over 50 of them!
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu May 08, 2008 2:40 pm
View Likes
Robin says...

The Curious Writer by Bruce Ballenger

I had to use this first semester for my writing 1010 class... It's not one of those books that's all technical or "do this, this, this and this". It's very laid back and helpful.

Resistance is futile.
— The Borg