z

Young Writers Society

Help with Argumentative Writing

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:30 am
ailiecay0isherfy says...

Our current school dress code is not only sexist, but, whether it is intentional or not, does the very thing it wishes to prevent, and sexualizes the young women at our school. Girls here feel that, rather than protecting us and undersexualizing us, the dress code is oversexualizing our bodies. By telling us to cover our skin, we often interpret it as telling us that it is wrong, especially when teachers use terms such as ‘educationally distracting.’ We feel as if we have done something wrong for showing our bra strap, showing a sliver of skin above our hips, or exposing our shoulders by wearing straps under an inch wide. This makes us feel belittled and we wish to make a change for the current and future students of this school, so that they do not feel belittled for showing their skin, which we believe is totally acceptable. Stretching it a little further, we would like to mention that these rules affect us students in their future lives. Often times, men who have been involved with rape will blame his actions on the girl, claiming that she ‘wanted it,’ because she was wearing ‘revealing’ clothing. Saying others reactions are the faults of young girls because they decided to express themselves. Schools typically promote self-expression, of course unless it would be considered taboo by society. These ideals being taught are impacting rape culture, double standards, and victim blaming -- as I mentioned before. If a boy is to wear his shirt as though it is a crop top everyone laughs, including the teachers, rather than dress coding or pointing out the male breaking the dress code. Isn’t it so hilarious how if a guy were to pull his shorts up or wear shorts deemed to be an inappropriate length if he were a girl there would be no consequences.
Many use the idea that it would distract boys as an argument against the dress code, but as we are told in our history classes when we look back upon our ancestors and many leader, take it out by the root of the problem. Classrooms should be teaching boys at a young age that girls are not their object to be sexualized. Skin is not a sex organ. It is a part of the body that you need to survive. More students, along with adults unfortunately need to be taught this. Girls need to be raised on the idea that their skin is not something to be ashamed of, something to hide. The fact that adults are telling young, vulnerable, and impressionable girls this is sickening. They required us to take a day to learn how body-image and self-esteem affects us; saying that at what happens to our bodies and what the media tells us at this age effects our long term image the most. Yet, they still continue to tell us that our skin is inappropriate and should be hidden by what they consider to be okay. Why can we not decide for ourselves? This should be able to be my way to express myself. Am I really too young to wear that outfit if you are able to say that it is inappropriate on me?

Reviews: 0
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:24 pm
saratyper says...

Each generation at one time sought to express themselves. You are doing the right thing to defend your position. Today in our world it is not forbidden to be a person and express yourself with the help of style and clothing. You should write more about it to be heard. Good luck in the fight!

Noelle, you can lead a writer to their computer and give them coffee, but you can't make them write.
— CowLogic