z

Young Writers Society

Help with titles

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:05 pm
StNickKILLyous says...

I need a title for a gun-using character. My story is based in a futuristic world in which electricity no longer works, blah blah blah. Anyways, there's this faction known as the Rangers, and they are trained in the use of guns, and I need a title for the position of leader of said faction.
Also, if I posted this in the wrong area, please let me know. I expect to have lots of questions similar to this, and don't know where to put them.

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:17 pm
Virgil says...

Is it a term in the story, or is it an actual name? I'm going to assume it's more of a term or title since that's what you state. Some suggestions are to have a title related to their personality or perhaps even the type of gun they use. Example: Pistol. Another idea or more of a title for this person, Gunslinger, though that's more associated with running from the law, so I don't know if that fits into the faction aspect of the novel.

Though, these are just suggestions and ultimately it's up to you. Ask yourself what kind of title you want to assign to them, try to make the name have some background behind it. And yes, I do believe you've posted it in the right area by posting it in Writing Tips, though Research is probably the best place for it. No worries about that, though. Try to have the name have some sort of reasoning behind why you named it, though, and I think it'll work out.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:25 pm
StNickKILLyous says...

Wow, didn't know I'd get a reply so quickly.
Good idea with the type of weapon hadn't considered that. Anyways, I apologize for the confusion; what I meant was that it was a title given by holding a particular place within the faction. Similar to being the President, or something like that, rather than a personal title.
Thanks for the advice, it will definitely be useful soon.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu May 18, 2017 7:31 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I'd also suggest looking at what type of organization you want.

Is the structure loose with only an unofficial leader? Rigid but only one person as the head? Levels of hierarchy? Somewhere between? Each system will have different types of position names.

An unofficial leader will likely have something personal, more akin to an identifying nickname and the respect of the group letting you know they're the leader.

Rigid positions where somebody is always the Leader will have a very impersonal title that can be passed along easily. Adding in levels of hierarchy makes it the lower ranking people will probably have some indication of their lower rank (like how a First Lieutenant outranks a Second Lieutenant).

To take gun names, you can grab the most powerful weapon in your universe for the leader's title, with lower ranking weapons for lower ranking people. For a personal name, you can have the leader's signature gun or gun accessory be the "title".

You can also hybridize the two, where one former leader stuck around so long that their nickname has become the official leadership title.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Every really new idea looks crazy at first.
— Alfred North Whitehead