z

Young Writers Society

Abuse/ Violent scene

Reviews: 3
Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:43 pm
hopefull1writter says...

So I have a part in my story I'm wanting to edit and put in a better scene of the step father being abusive but cant get the tone and feeling through. Any ideas or advice?
:?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:06 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

The thing about abuse, especially in a situation of parent/child, is there is often a long, long history behind it that can turn even small things into flinch-worthy actions.

If you haven't accounted for the past history, or the abuse cycle (that starts off where the person is buttered up, then there's a tension phase, everything snaps, and there's a "honeymoon" period that butters the person back up), then the scene will probably fall flat because there isn't a sense of history to it.

Abuse is, at its heart, a means of control. Abusers set up a situation where they can control their victim, then enact what is required in order to exercise that control. So try asking yourself what type of control the abuser wants and how they go about it. The method I'm the most familiar with is the abuser basically setting up a situation where the actual choice made "is" the victim's, but it was so heavily influenced by the abuser saying bad things about the choice they didn't want the victim to make that it really wasn't the victim's choice at all. Other methods of control include ultimatums, threats, or cutting off of resources.

So just ask questions about what's happened in the past, what buttering up techniques have been used, what the preferred method of control is, and the fear level in the victim. All of that should help make a richer scene.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:50 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Ooh, interesting question! Since you've said 'the stepfather' I assume it's told from the step-daughter's point of view?

With things like this I tend to try and relate. Even if I can't relate to the violence, I can relate to the feelings it causes.

For example; if my MC felt guilt, like she somehow deserves her punishment, then I would draw inspiration from a time when I had done something wrong and had to accept the consequences. If she felt betrayed by her mother then I would think of a time when I was let down by someone I needed.

You don't need to relate to the exact situation, just to the sentiment that your character is feeling. Take some time to write about it and explore the emotions, and then see which ones you can fit in to your work.

What kind of tone or emotion were you going for? Maybe you could post a piece of the scene where you're struggling the most?
We were born to be amazing.

while she was studying the ways of pasta he was studying the ways of the sword
— soundofmind