z

Young Writers Society

Real Life Characters in a Realistic Fiction Novel?

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:35 am
Snazzy says...

So the deal is, I want to write about my life (with added in bits of fiction). Not like the personal journal I have, but in a different, narrative, story-like sense. I also want to add in the people I know, all while keeping private their personal lives. I wasn't going to use any real names (I made a chart to switch names of people, schools, etc. over). I just feel bad, especially writing about my enemies(ish).

So I guess what I'm asking would be, is this ethical? Should I go on with this, or would it be unfair to write about people I know (in a non-direct, general way) without their direct consent? (Right now I'm thinking it wouldn't be okay, but I wanted to hear someone else's opinion on this.)
Disciple of Christ • Coffee Addict • Poetry Consumer

Formerly SnazzyPencil

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:13 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Honestly, it depends on if you plan to publish or not.

Writing a story involving parts of your life for fun, practice, therapy, or whatever other possible reason is fine. The most you risk is them finding it, if it's posted online.

If you're going to publish, then ethically you'll want to get permission from all parties involved if the details of the stories are enough to have them be recognized from the story alone.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:41 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

You must have missed the fifth season of Gossip Girl ;)

Anyway, if this is a private just-for-fun project, that's okay. But if you're planning on making it public, you run the risk of hurting people - so I would definitely get their consent first, before you burn any bridges!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:05 pm
View Likes
SteppeVesteffi says...

If you change the names (even yours—i.e., publishing under a pseudonym), I don't think there's anything wrong with it, per se. That's been done before, many times, and I don't believe it's unethical—though I suppose it might fall in an ethical gray area. I would warn you, though: I've heard of people doing this and having it absolutely ruin their relationship with certain friends and family members, and really hurting those closest to them with their portrayals. (Even if you try to portray them positively, they might still be offended over the smallest details.) For that reason, I'd say, if you really want to do this, tread carefully and do so 100% anonymously.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:55 pm
View Likes
LadyShadows says...

I mean, I feel like you can use real people in realistic fiction. After all, it's realistic isn't it not? However if you add people that you personally know, it's best to ask whether or not you can use their real name. Many folks are sensitive about that. :)
nyctophilia:
(n.) love of darkness or night. finding relaxation or comfort in the darkness.

I have to ask. Does every question or statement regarding the quote generator end up in the quote generator?
— WeepingWisteria