z

Young Writers Society

Writing critiques -How do I?

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:52 am
tinny says...

I have no idea how to critique work well. No idea at all. If someone could help me and teach, it would be mucho appreciated. Thankyou!
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:18 pm
Fishr says...

Critiquing is just a fancy word to describe editing. To edit, it's all in opinion, and everyone has their own special touch in doing so.

For example, when I edit, I'm very picky. Every word is checked, said aloud, and then I reread the sentence and repeat the word all over again. If the word or the sentence on the whole doesn't flow, I let the writer fully know, and then list examples of improved sentences to give them ideas or if they desire, to choose from.

I check grammar and spelling with a critical eye. No mistakes slip past me, lol.

I also do character development, which is the hardest because it involves the narrative, dialogue, how the char behaves, miticulious details the writer themselves wouldn't catch such as clothing to fit the period, etc...

Mentioning that, I'm not sure if I would call it a telent, but if a character is well developed, I have the ability "jumping into their head" and thus, I analyze your characters; listing every known detail. By doing this, I can determine if the char is actually developed or if there are flaws.

I'm also a very opinionated person, which in the past has had writers wishing to stab me with a fork, lol. I now have learned how to edit in such a way where I'm not purposely being degrading or hurtful to someone's work. And that's the key element. An editor can be harsh, and believe me I am too, but an editor can't purposely say, "Wow, this sucks! You have too many mistakes!" Blah, blah... Your job is to help improve, not put down a writer.

Hope that helps.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:35 pm
View Likes
Cassandra says...

Pick a piece and read through it. I like to have either a notebook and pen or a word document handy. That way I can make a note of things that caught my attention and not forget them.

Now, if the piece is full of grammar mistakes, I try not to point out every one. That just wastes time. Maybe I'll make a general note, like, "Some of your commas are misplaced." Then give an example and how it could be fixed. Then I usually go in chronicle order, according to my notes, and tell the author things that could be potential problems or things I noticed, such as spots that are repetitive, showing and not telling, character development and motivation, etc. Then I end with a summary of my overall feelings for the story, plus a nice comment. It's always good to end with something positive.

Lately I have been trying to do less of the nitpicky grammar stuff and more looking at the actual story in my critiques, because I know that I want to hear about the characters and plot when someone reads my work, not my spelling errors, and others probably want the same.

And most importantly, be honest! Don't tell someone's work is really good and best thing you've ever read if it isn't. But like Fishr said, you also have to keep the author's feelings in mind. Help them to improve, but don't totally discourage them from writing anything ever again.

Hope I helped!
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:44 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Here!

And thanks for your enthusiasm. Good critiquers are always a good thing to have. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:47 am
Fishr says...

Hehe, in my haste, I forgot I'm also a stickler for plots/conflicts or the overall quality of the story itself. I remember I was editing a 35 year old's non-fiction piece. There was plenty of conflicts but there wasn't really a plot; point to the story itself. It was more of, "Look! Pity me!" type of deal, and her goal was to have it published. With a lot of patience and working with and gently pushing her, we worked through a good portion of the potholes to improve the quality of the work. I was twenty-two at the time, and since then, through mistakes, I've improved by leaps and bounds as an editor and writer.

A good practice is not actually critique yourself but to read other's crits. :) You will see many styles of how writers prefer to edit work and eventually you may find your own path/style. I actually have three preferred styles of editing, and when I sit down and look over someone's work - here or outside of the Net - it usually takes me three or more hours to properally edit. So, that's the other thing - never be afraid to take your time, and if my some chance you cannot finish in time, let the writer know. This way they are aware you're working on their story, and most writers are understanding of busy schedules and unexpected events. I personally owe three critiques to members on this site, but they are aware my schedule has been screwey this year, and they know I'll return to their work when time is more available for me. Just be respectful, and keep the writer informed every so often for a reason why it's taken longer to finish the editing job. Again, most writers will appreciate the fact of being informed, rather then forgotten.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— Someone Incredibly Noncommittal