z

Young Writers Society

How do I demonstrate variety without infodumping?

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:46 pm
Tenyo says...

Hey guys!

So, the piece I'm struggling on at the moment is a scene where my MC walks through a room full of representatives from all different countries. What I'd ideally (and rather ambitiously) like to do is turn this into a metaphorical walk across the planet. My aim is to link each person to a part of their culture or landscape using an oh-so-clever assortment of adjectives and descriptions that will turn the room into some sort of social collage.

The issue I have is that I'm gonna have a mega load of names and places to drop in and in this case it's the descriptions of the places that are more important than the places themselves.

Thoughts?
We were born to be amazing.

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:43 pm
View Likes
Megrim says...

Hmm I think I need more info on the context and actual scene and setting. My recommendation is to avoid proper nouns like the plague and stick to only descriptive terms. Also, less is more in these sort of situations, and I think if you pick a handful (say, three) very *different* representatives, that will give the feel of what you want without needing to describe EVERY person who's present.

560 Reviews

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:16 pm
Tenyo says...

That's a really good point. The worldbuilder in me is saying 'Do It Like Tolkien!' and the storyteller is saying 'but-then-this-scene-will-be-a-novel-in-itseeeelf.'

The scene is a gathering of world leaders (or their representatives) who have been summoned for an annual event that's kind of like a culture fair, involving sports, fighting tournaments and arts displays. The main purpose is that each year they renew and sign the Global Peace Treaty.

The world it's based in is similar to earth in its diversity, some countries are made from dense cities in which research facilities are on the brink of mixing genetics and bionics, and in other areas people are still using slings and spears to chase wildlife across savannas in order to avoid starvation. These different societies are vaguely aware of each other, but are too far apart to really engage.

In this scene the king of the poorest country has arrived at the pre-welcoming ceremony of the annual event and is, essentially, scoping out what the rest of the world has been up to whilst he's been purposefully ignorant of it. It's the first scene that really introduces the existence of the rest of the world beyond his country.

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:34 pm
View Likes
Megrim says...

Something to consider might be how to keep tension and conflict in the scene. Things he's worried about or jealous of or whatever when he sees the others, or maybe people with whom there's been some tension in the past, stuff like that? So it's less of a "here's all this worldbuilding stuff" and more "hmm I wonder which of these guys will be a problem." Might give the scene some inertia, too.

560 Reviews

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:51 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

@Megrim you are genius. Thankyou! ^__^

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:52 pm
View Likes
JosephGeorge says...

I agree with Megrim. If you build some personal relationship between your MC and the other political leaders, then he can do all of the introductions for you, rather than having to lay down a bunch of boring descriptions of people and places and such. It could be as simple as, "And that hair, so good, but I couldn't get over the pig nose."
I #WotRT do you?

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, wondering why I ever came to this miserable planet. Then I look at you, and it all makes sense."

We know what a person thinks not when he tells us what he thinks, but by his actions.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer