z

Young Writers Society

Insecurity and Fear

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:13 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I was attending a business class. In it, we were discussing business trends that a woman named Faith Popcorn noticed. My teacher asked what these trends say about America, and I replied that it showed that America was insecure.

What are the reasons for this insecurity? Here's a few ideas.

1. 9/11: This event has had a profound effect on the American psyche, particularly with regards to security.

2. The Cold War: Our parents were raised with the threat of nuclear holocaust coming at any moment. It is only natural that they would pass on this sense of fear.

3. Media Bombardment: The news agencies need to create news, so often they will recycle the latest shock story. It doesn't take long before you see a bogeyman behind every corner. This is where a lot of fear comes from.

4. Marital Problems: Seventy percent of marriages end in divorce nowadays. Often times, a kid is caught in the vise. How can we feel secure if something so seemingly strong as love is broken?

5. Poor Education: Nothing breeds fear faster than fear of the unknown. The low standards of high school don't match the high standards of the business world.

6. Lack of self respect: People will give themselves the short end of the stick.

I think a lot of these things could be solved if people just knew who they were. We are so obsessed with not offending other people and trying to get along with everyone, that we have forgotten who we are.

So, as you finish here, take a moment to ask yourself who you are. You don't have to tell anyone else, but you do have to be honest. Unless you're a dishonest person.

That's all.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

I say, in matters of the heart, treat yo' self.
— Donna, Parks & Rec