z

Young Writers Society

How do I get started again?

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:55 pm
Wandwaver says...

I guess that's my question. I recently had the fantasy bug rekindled. I'm wanting to start again, but have forgotten a lot. Any ideas?
I am Sash Greenlea, Padawan Learner

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:18 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

Uhh, I think the better question is do you have any ideas. After all, that's where all writing starts. If you currently don't have a story already in your mind, just let your mind wander a bit. Some ideas are bound to resemble known work, but if you wander enough you'll either find a great idea or be able to combine several ideas into one. I do that all the time. Just don't wander too far or for too long. Some of those ideas may never see the light of day, but you'll remember at least parts of them later, and I'm sure they'll help.

Once you have a general idea of what the story is, get the basics of characters, world, and plot, then just start writing/typing. Continue to let your mind wander to potentially fill many of the holes in your story to bring it from idea to some workable material. While writing, see what come back to you and find what you're having difficulty remembering. From there, or from now if you want, you can check out the Writing Tips forum. There are all sorts of helpful articles. Once you get back into the swing of things, you'll be in good hands here.

And if you still have questions, don't be afraid to ask, but I see you already posses that quality. Have fun and enjoy your writing!
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:55 pm
Snoink says...

One person you can PM is fishr. She was in the same position you were in awhile ago, a couple of months, I think, and wanted to start writing. So ask her some questions and I'm sure you can get some interesting answers! :)

And just try writing.

Blogs are wonderful at this. Also, check out our stories and see what you like and what needs to be improved. By critiquing, you can actually help out your writing. :)

Good luck!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:11 pm
Nate says...

I go through the same thing; I want to start writing again, but have nothing to write. Happens every now and then.

Best way to start is to just write in your blog or journal. Describe your day, talk about something funny that happened. Eventually you'll start feeling creative again and ideas will come to mind. Also, read a lot. I got great ideas after reading a book last night.

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:47 pm
deleted says...

Grab a piece of paper, close your eyes, and grab a pen, write down the first word that pops into your head.

then fold the paper in half, repeat step one.

then repeat step two.

then again. and yet, one more time.

Unfold the piece of paper, and expand on your blindfolded vision.

Well, thats what I do anyway. cAn anyone tell?

A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.
— Markus Zusak, The Book Thief