z

Young Writers Society

Dialogue Tags

524 Reviews

Reviews: 524
Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:05 am
View Likes
felistia says...

I always had trouble when it comes to putting interesting tags on the ends of dialogue.
I get into this habit of put words like asked, exclaimed, moaned Just basic words that aren't really that interesting. I read certain words in books like mused, thundered, insisted these are much more interesting words, but I can't seem to remember them when it comes to writing. So my point is that I was going to make a list of dialogue tags for me and other people to use when they are writing. Feel free to suggest words that aren't on the list and I'll add them I hope this is some use to people. :D

Words to use for shouting: angrily, thundered, bellowed, roared, shouted, yelled, boomed, barked, hollered, called, screeched, shrieked, screamed, exclaimed,

Words for crying: cried, bawled, sniffed, wept, sobbed, blubbered, sniveled, whimpered, howled, wailed, sniveled, keened, whimpered,

Words for moaning: moaned, groaned, sighed, whined, lamented, keened, complained, grumbled, griped, groused, carped,

Words for whispered: hissed, whispered, sighed, muttered, mumbled, murmured, mouthed, breathed, uttered,

Words for joyfully: happily, ecstatically, blissfully, cheerily, jubilantly, merrily, joyfully, gleefully,

Words for tiredly: Tiredly, sleepily, groggily, yawning, murmuring,

Words for thought: thought, mused, pondered, considered, supposed,

Words for mocked: jovial, sarcastic,

Feel free to suggest more words that you think of and suggest different categories. I hope this was helpful. :D
Last edited by felistia on Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:59 pm
View Likes
Lightsong says...

I will add another note on this subject. These words are indeed efficient in describing the tone and way dialogue is said, but they can also distract readers from the dialogue.

So be aware if you really need to use a fancier version of 'said'. When the dialogue is so important you want your readers to really analyze it, you might want to stick with 'said', because the readers would focus more on the dialogue than the standard dialogue verb.

But if you think the content of the dialogue would not help convey the way it is delivered, then by all means, use it. Like 'thundered'. '"You are as pretty as a flower," she said.' You want the girl say it in an angry way (maybe because she was jelly) so you change 'said' with 'thundered'.

And here we are at the best part. No need to use verb at all (this would be explained later)!
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:19 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

To quote The Little Mermaid, "Never underestimate the importance of body language."

Body language is an excellent way of revealing how things are said. A set jaw and a firm swallow can indicate tears ready to burst out, raking hands through hair can indicate agitation, a lifted lip indicates anger.

Most of communication is non-verbal, so if you ever want to avoid words to describe voice, use the rest of communication to let readers figure it out on their own.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:21 pm
Tenyo says...

This is really useful!

The things I struggle with most are mocking words, like when something is said as a joke or sarcasm. I have jovial, sarcastic, and mocked, although that last one is only really for particular circumstances. Maybe someone can add to these.
We were born to be amazing.

"I think; therefore, I am."
— RenĂ© Descartes