z

Young Writers Society

Jump starting a story?

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed May 18, 2016 7:22 am
View Likes
Storygirl95 says...

What do you guys do to jump start your stories? By this I mean bringing a story back to life. I've had one I started a few weeks ago but then got sidetracked. I still want to write it and know what to do with it plot wise, but it just feels kind of sluggish like it's too tired to work with me again.
So, do you guys ever have this issue? What do you do to put some life or pep back into it so the story wants to be written again? Or am I at its mercy like a lot of writing things? :P
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed May 18, 2016 9:06 am
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

First, I go on Yewis and ask everyone.

Then I ignore the advice, get bored, play on my phone, find the nearest lil caesars but it's too far, I'm too tired for that, eat peanut butter, find a helpful imam, discover w/ intuition destiny vis-a-vis him, write about religious leader, publish, ask for opinions, source new inspirational text, despondent gather, exult & extol, raise up roofbeams, finished, I accomplish.

easy @ that -- don't pat back, soft bones.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue May 31, 2016 4:55 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

If you're bored with it, cut the story back to its last interesting part and start from there.

Sometimes these cuts are fairly major, and sometimes they involve starting from scratch with the characters and concepts. While it can be painful, it's sometimes the only way to salvage a concept you love. I have restarted my story in the realm of 30 times, until I decided to just finish one draft, but even then I made two major, over 10k word cuts that revitalized where I was going.

If you're bored, it's because of something. Don't feel the need to struggle with what you're obviously not interested in— get back to where you are interested, then keep going.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue May 31, 2016 5:39 am
View Likes
Deskro says...

For me, I find writing in different ways help with piquing interest. At the moment I'm writing fine with pen and paper (with the idea to transcribe it on to my laptop) but can't bring myself to type it out. Maybe even try doing something like drawing scenes or characters.

And in a similar vein to Rosendorn, remember that you don't need to write chronologically, you can patch it in later. Write what you want to write, consider it like a separate short story or even fan-fic of your work. Then later add it into your story. You should enjoy your writing in the end, try not to view it as something you have to do.

Along the lines of drawing, you can do other things to distract you too. Have you made profiles for your characters? Have you described how your cities work with economies and 'real' life stuff like that? Can give yourself a fresh perspective that might just be the thing to motivate you to scrawl on.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Tue May 31, 2016 7:08 am
View Likes
Kazumi says...

Personal tips:

(This works for me, but who knows? It might work for you too.)

1. Go to a cafe and put your phone on airplane mode. No WiFi, no calls and messages, no distractions. Now you're alone with a piece of paper, a pen, a mug of your favorite hot drink, and your thoughts.

Now, start writing. No worries if you think it looks bad. Just keep on writing, and everything else will fall into place.

Stay in there for as long as you're allowed or as long as you can, and finish as much as you can.

2. List down everything you know about your story, such as plot, character, conflict, theme, setting, and other additional information. I'm not sure why, but it kind of helps me out a bunch.

3. Sleep.

That's it. It works, trust me. Sleeping helps you get around writer's blocks.

If all else fails and you're really uninterested, just ditch it. No need to stretch yourself for something you don't love. But if you really think this plot of yours is something golden and it'd be a mortal sin to waste it, put it on hold. Maybe something will spark your interest once again.
top kek

shady and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws
— Tuckster