z

Young Writers Society

Writing in verse

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:24 pm
queenofscience says...

How do you write quoats in verse? What about longer quotes in verse ( like almost a pharagraph) ? Do you need quotation marks? What do you do if another character is soeaking? What if your character has to explain somthing that that is long?

Any tips on writing in verse? Anything else I need to know about writing in verse? Thanks.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:15 pm
Rosendorn says...

What do you mean by "verse"?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:22 pm
queenofscience says...

Like in verse, kinda like poetry.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:47 pm
Rosendorn says...

You have two primary options, depending on the style you want to go for.

Type one: quotation marks, just like you would in prose, punctuated as per consistent with the poem (ie- you can lack capitalization so long as the rest of the poem does).

Type two: italics. Instead of surrounding the dialogue with quotation marks, you italicize it. I find this tends to occur more in stylized poetry, where quotation marks would ruin the flow.

But really, you can treat quotes in verse just like you would in prose, right down to the said tags.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:32 am
View Likes
Kale says...

Depending on how long the verse is, you have several options. Typically, the longer the verse, the more likely it will be offset from the regular text, usually by a mix of indentation and italics, and often without quotation marks. You can see a lot of examples of this in The Lord of the Rings.

Shorter quotes, usually less than a single line on the page long, can also be offset, but it's more common to italicize them in-line with the dialogue and tags. The italics act as a signal that the verse is being quoted without the need for additional quotation marks. For example:

"You know what they say: An apple a day keeps the doctor away," she said, waving the fruit in my face.

You could also do it:

"You know what they say: 'An apple a day keeps the doctor away,'" she said...

But that's a bit overkill with the quotation marks, in my opinion. Opinions differ on this, of course, so go with whatever works best for you.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:46 am
Karzkin says...

Here's an excerpt from a famous poem by T.S. Eliot:

And would it have been worth it, after all,
After the cups, the marmalade, the tea,
Among the porcelain, among some talk of you and me,
Would it have been worth while,
To have bitten off the matter with a smile,
To have squeezed the universe into a ball
To roll it towards some overwhelming question,
To say: “I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all”—
If one, settling a pillow by her head
Should say: “That is not what I meant at all;
That is not it, at all.”

As you can see, he just uses regular quotation marks, which works fine. But that's just one example. The rules in poetry are way more relaxed than in prose (to the point of not existing haha). Do what you want honestly. Do whatever most effectively communicates your intention to the audience. Even try out a few different styles and see which works best.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

All Hail the undisputed king of the YWS helicopter game.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:24 pm
Lightsong says...

There are many ways to present dialogues in poetry, but be aware that each way emphasizes said poetry in varying degree. Italicizing it, for instance, would make the dialogue stands out more than other parts of the poetry because of its differences than others (it tells us why we italicize when emphasizing words within a poem). Putting the dialogue under quotation marks doesn't make it more stand out than other parts because the use of quotation marks are minimal and not distracting, barely noticeable but effective, like a period does to end the sentence.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

Only the suppressed word is dangerous.
— Ludwig Borne