z

Young Writers Society

How To Make Time For Writing

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:27 pm
View Likes
allyoop says...

How do you create a plan for writing and how do you stick to it? I play on a club national volleyball team and go to a highly rigorous school and take advanced classes. I often feel stressed to fit everything into my schedule while still allowing time to enjoy my life and maintain a social life as well. I was wondering if any of you had ideas how to balance things, allowing me to continue doing the thing that makes me happy, writing.
"I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour but heaven knows I'm miserable now."

the Smiths

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:46 pm
View Likes
Songmorning says...

I try to reserve the hour from 6-7 in the morning for my writing (although sometimes I have overnight shifts at work). I'd appreciate some tips on this as well.

Personally, I feel the most creative when I just wake up, but if you're a night person, you might like to reserve an hour at night when it's quiet.
"...is there a being in the whole world who would have the right to forgive and could forgive? But there is a Being and He can forgive everything, all and for all, because He gave His innocent blood for all and everything." ~Dostoyevsky

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:17 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

Pretty much the main thing I can say is that you have to actively reserve time for writing, and then actually write during that time. You have to be deliberate about it. Take a look at your day - do you spend time doing anything you don't really need to do? Try to cut down on the unneeded activities and use that time for writing.

In particular, try to cut down on "wasted" time - time you spend checking your phone or scrolling through social media, that sort of thing. Those few minutes add up. Use that time to write instead.

In general, analyze your day and make a schedule that allows you time for everything - school, volleyball, friends, and writing, and then stick to it if at all possible.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:40 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Set tiny little goals. You might not have time to do an hour's worth of writing, or even half an hour, but you can get one sentence down. You can just dash off one sentence of whatever project you want to work on every day, and you'll find that some days you can squeeze out more writing than that. But keep the minimum low.

I personally find it really discouraging to sit down with large goals, with "it must be this block of time", because life changes. By keeping small goals, they're like pebbles in your weekly plans: easier to slip in the cracks of free time when you have, say, 15 minutes after lunch when you're done eating but don't have to go to class yet. Or on the commute home. Or right before bed.

And you'll often go past those goals, which makes you feel great. But you can't get that consistent confidence boost if you set the goal too high, because you won't hit or surpass it as often.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:46 pm
View Likes
SkyeWalker says...

It also helps if there's a creative writing class you can take at your school. That's how I've gotten back into the groove of writing every day.
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm
View Likes
Lightsong says...

I've once involved in LMS, and the system for that thing is that you post the latest installment of your novel once a week. I found this rather helpful, although the progress you'd make isn't going to be as rapid as you like it to be. Making time just one hour for writing is enough if your schedule is packed; the important thing is you're consistent with your writing, and don't make it a seasonal activity.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats